Chapter 30: Clarifications

In the shelter of the animals, the group of gorillas that were the owners there, were preparing a dinner for all those present; it seemed to be their custom to offer a quality dinner to the newcomers. Likewise, the animals that were from the circus and the zoo also helped and, among them, Diddy had sneaked in; he didn't really have much to do, as there were many animals volunteering.

Diddy was bringing a few dishes to the table, when suddenly, he realized at a distance that Dixie had come. He had to avoid making eye contact with her and, if possible, pretend he hadn't seen her. When Diddy finished doing everything, he went to sit down together with all the animals, and of course, Dixie had to sit next to him. In the same way, she didn't want to look at him when she arrived.

The other animals talked normally as they began to eat. The table was very extensive and had a lot of food on top, mostly fruits. The animals that were from the circus had several patches on their wounds to heal, while they were having another countenance thanks to the help they would receive in that shelter.

For their part, Diddy and Dixie were silent, just eating without uttering a word. Between times, they looked sideways at each other, but then immediately looked away again.

"Hey, why are you two so quiet?" one of the animals asked them both. "Did you go this afternoon to explore this island?"

"Uhh... Yeah... Of course we went," Diddy replied, lying to them with a forced smile.

"That's good, and where have you been? Have you seen the lake cliff changing color?"

"Well... Oh, yes," Dixie added, going with the flow. "Yeah, we went to that colorful lake, we even swam there."

"Swimming?! But if you can't swim in that lake; there are toxic substances inside."

"No, but it wasn't at the lake, it was at the beach," Diddy continued, arranging the excuse.

"That's good, little monkeys... And what else do you tell us about you? What is your Island DK like?"

Diddy and Dixie continued to talk to the animals, although they rarely spoke to each other; it was a pleasant moment and at the same time somewhat tense. They didn't tell them that they actually spent the afternoon building boats because they knew that all would contradict them with the idea that the sea was dangerous at that time. They also didn't say they had argued, so all the time they pretended to get along normally.

"Dessert time!" exclaimed one of the apes of the refuge while bringing several plates with fruit cakes, creating excitement in those ones present.

"Oh, and for you, little monkeys: banana cake special just for you," said another ape, handing a plate of slices of banana cake to Diddy and Dixie.

The pieces of cake looked so delicious that it made both kongs' eyes shine, and they didn't hesitate for a second to eat them. They ate the whole dessert until they left only one slice on the plate; Dixie was going to eat her right away, but Diddy went ahead first... although before doing so, he stopped and decided to leave it for Dixie; she hesitated to take the last piece, but Diddy smiled at her somewhat shyly as a sign that she could keep it for herself... Dixie gave him a look of strangeness at the gesture, but then agreed anyway.

The night continued, and all the animals continued to talk until later. After all, it hadn't been a bad place for Diddy and Dixie either; at least there were many animals already known before and they had safe refuge to stay.

***

It was already going to be bedtime, so each of the animals had planned their space to rest. Some preferred to sleep on the ground, others on rocks, others in lagoons, while others in trees.