Chapter 14: Indecisions and a Gift

The Kong family used to meet often on weekends after a few laborious days, and this occasion was one of them. It was night and they were in the middle of the jungle, near a lake. On the one hand, there were the older kongs like Donkey, Candy, Funky, Swanky, and Lanky; while in another corner, there were the younger ones like Diddy, Dixie, Kiddy, Tiny and Chunky, who were playing a card game.

Diddy was having a good time with his friends as he used to do when they got together. While playing cards, in an oversight of Dixie, Diddy looked at her cards and saw that she had quite an advantage for the game.

"Hey, what's that up there?" Diddy pointed out, making the rest of the group look up, and took advantage of the distraction to take Dixie's card and place it in the center.

"Hey, hey, very funny, aren't you?!" Dixie exclaimed, who realized Diddy's trap instantly.

"Oh, too bad, I've already won," Diddy added mockingly.

"No, that card was mine!" replied Dixie, picking up the card that Diddy stole from her, but he took it back from her. Immediately, Dixie threw the cards in his face.

"Hey!" Diddy, in revenge, threw more cards at Dixie and thus began a 'war' between the two of them.

"Hey, it's just a game, stop fighting," Tiny said, frowning and placing her hands at her sides.

"He started!" Dixie replied, annoyed.

"Well, let's start another round and no cheating!" Chunky exclaimed, calming them down.

"But I didn't cheat!" Diddy lied, holding back his laughter.

"Huh, how can you say no?!" Dixie exclaimed, looking at him angrily.

"Oh, you both love each other," Tiny muttered with a few small laughs.

"What?" asked Diddy, who luckily didn't hear well.

"Nothing, I said don't fight anymore," Tiny replied with a few small laughs, while Dixie blushed a little and looked furiously at her sister, since she had heard what she had said.

"Okay, okay," Diddy added, calming down. "Let's play again, I won't cheat anymore."

"Not you, but now it's going to be my turn to play for real," Dixie said, smiling defiantly.

"Yes, yes, we'll see," Diddy replied in kind.

Many times, when playing, Diddy liked to cheat to annoy Dixie on purpose; they were friendly fights, of course. On certain occasions, the others in the group used to look at them with speculations as far as feelings are concerned, although these two didn't usually realize it.

Later, Funky called everyone to have some fruit sodas he had prepared, and then they dispersed into several groups. It was a moment of rest.

Diddy, on the one hand, was sitting on a rock by himself, while drinking his soda. From there, he could only look into the distance... to Dixie. While she was now his best friend, deep down, Diddy felt much more for her; beyond her appearance, her way of being or her friendship, it was something inexplicable what he felt, what he liked about Dixie was simply... her. A long time ago, when he had just met her, he couldn't imagine feeling something like that... Perhaps, now he was understanding Donkey better when he told him about Candy from their beginnings.

"Diddy," Donkey said, appearing near him, so Diddy turned to look at him. "Come, I need to talk to you."

Both kongs went to talk in a corner, a little isolated from the other ones. Donkey would have to say something important to his little nephew.

"What happened, Donkey?"

"Well, little buddy, you'll see... is that I think it's time that... you should tell her," he suggested quietly.