Chapter 62: Unexpected Reunion

While walking too stealthily and quickly through the interior of that building, Diddy went through one of the corridors, where he saw a large entrance, which had a greater illumination than the rest of the rooms; that caught his attention and he immediately went there. But suddenly, he stopped in his tracks when he could hear four known voices nearby, so he immediately hid behind the walls.

"Ugh, why did this building have to be so big?" Jemky complained as he walked out of a door, along with the other three kids, all carrying handkerchiefs, mops and brooms. In addition... each of them rubbed his back, arms and hips as if they were sore.

"I think I was the one whom they whipped harder," Rocky said as he rubbed his back and made a look of pain.

"Well, you deserve it for ratting us out," Jemky said, rolling his eyes. "You could have told them something different about the jet ski."

"Shut up, this is your fault, it was your idea!" Rocky replied to Jemky. "Only you should have been whipped!"

"Huh, who says it!" Jemky replied in the same way. "You and Melenky are the biggest gossipy! We could even have quietly gone to catch those stupid monkeys instead of calling our dads!"

"But we wouldn't have had the need to do it had it not been for your whim to make those two break up!"

"Yeah, yeah, get over it!" Jemky replied with a shrug. "Think that at least those two monkeys are not even together anymore. Poor little fool monkey, he must be crying alone on Hurricane Island if he's still alive," he added in a mocking tone.

The four of them walked out of that room and kept walking through the corridors. They even passed near the wall where Diddy was hiding, but luckily, they couldn't see him.

"Bah! I'm tired of cleaning," Jemky was heard saying. "I'd better go to our room to rest for a while."

"Hey, but we're just getting started," Rocky said.

"Our dads went out right now; they won't know whether we clean or not," Jemky replied with a shrug. "Or let's spy or bother those captured kids, what do you say?"

"Sounds good, I want too. I'm getting bored," Melenky added in the same way. "Or let's play spy through those kids."

"You go there; I had had enough of using them," Rocky added.

Diddy walked close to the wall stealthily and, when he had the four of them farther away, he ran out into the illuminated room. He turned for a while and gave a furious glance at the four of them from a distance; he would go out at that time to confront them, but he had to keep a low profile if he wanted to have a safe escape from that place. The only thing that gave him satisfaction was remembering that at least the group of adult apes had recently given them their punishment due.

Diddy noticed that in the room where he was now, there was a huge staircase leading to the highest floors of the building. Looking around to make sure he wasn't seen by anyone, he started climbing the stairs as fast as he could. He had heard the four bully kids say that they would go to bother the captured children, but for some reason, it didn't seem to be the case, as they didn't show up again, so Diddy just continued on his way.

During the journey, Diddy was thinking several things... like the fact that Dixie never really lied to him; all the drama had been in vain and now he felt like a fool for not believing her even though he didn't know what to think about what Jemky had shown, and just thinking about how bad Dixie may have felt. Now he just hoped that, after everything happened, Dixie wanted to give him another chance, although he didn't know if he would have it back, since he assumed that Dixie wouldn't do it after having seen him along with Jenny. And, speaking about Jenny, Diddy was more regretful than ever of having struck up a friendship with that other group whom he considered "friends"; he should never have trusted them, since in the end they turned out to be complicit in the whole matter as well. However, Diddy knew another detail about them... and if he were to prove it to Dixie, maybe she could consider him another chance.