Chapter 42: Surprise Gift

The next day, as they had planned, Diddy and Dixie would go to the animal shelter along with their new friends and, of course, Diddy would give the surprise gift to Dixie.

Diddy and Dixie headed to the house of their four new friends, and after that, the six were on their way to the shelter.

After a long journey, they finally arrived. The four of them were a little shy about meeting the animals there, but Diddy and Dixie told them that they were all very friendly.

"Are there too many animals here?" Melvyn asked, arm in arm with the group.

"That's right," Dixie replied. "But don't worry, they are good animals, they'll receive you very well."

They were all at the entrances of the shelter, when suddenly, one of the apes who owned that place came out and found them.

"Hey! How are you, little monkeys Diddy and Dixie?" the ape said, greeting them, and then noticed the other four children. "Oh, hello, are you new here at the shelter?"

"No, they're our new friends," Diddy replied. "They are Melvyn, Jenny, Ricky and Mandy," he added, pointing to each one.

"We were just coming to visit so you could get to know them," Dixie added.

"Oh, that's good. So, be welcome, new children, nice to meet you," replied the ape, shaking hands with each one, receiving a shy greeting from the four of them. "Well, what are you waiting for? You can pass."

The six of them passed inside the shelter. There were several of the animals hanging around the shelter and doing different activities. The four new kong children were watching the whole place carefully and that seemed to catch their attention.

"Wow! This place is amazing," Mandy said as she looked everywhere.

"It's super spacious," Melvyn added in the same way. "I think we would have come here at the beginning."

"Are they all the animals you rescued from the zoo?" Jenny asked Diddy and Dixie, pointing to all animals in general.

"They are some of them; others were already here when we arrived," Dixie replied.

Suddenly, a group of animals that were from the circus, known to Diddy and Dixie, were passing by them and greeted them.

"Diddy! Dixie! Good to see you here, how are you?" a zebra said, greeting them with joy, and then noticed the group of new children. "Oh, and who are they?"

"They're our new friends: Ricky, Mandy, Jenny and Melvyn," Dixie said, introducing them.

"Hi!" the four children greeted with some shyness.

"Wow, you made new friends on this island," commented a rhinoceros before greeting each one. "Nice to meet you, new children. Welcome."

The four greeted each of the animals; although they were somewhat shy, they were already feeling more comfortable in that place and, of course, Diddy and Dixie were there to accompany them.

"By the way, friends, the apes who owned this shelter made a banana cake," the zebra told them. "You can go eat some if you want. Oh, your new friends can eat too."

"Banana cake? That's great!" Diddy exclaimed before talking to the four of them. "What do you say, friends? Do you want to?"

"Uhh... No, thanks," Jenny replied apologetically. "We don't want to eat anything for now."

"Really? Not even a banana cake?" Dixie added, trying to cheer them up.

"No, no, it's that... we ate recently and we are full," Ricky added. "And we don't like cakes, thank you."