Chapter 46: Apologies

The next day was another day to continue with the construction of that ship. But this time, Diddy and Dixie decided not to go... Not after all the public scandal they had been involved in the day before. They knew that returning to the site would be to gain the spotlight of everyone present... and not in such a good way. They didn't even want to see their friends; in actual fact, they were very disappointed in them and had never met them that way; they never imagined that they would act like that on both of them.

It was late in the afternoon, and the pair of kongs were on the floor of their room playing the two alone to a board game that Mr. Pinky had lent them.

"Ha! I beat you!" Diddy exclaimed in a winning tone as he moved his last token. "You have no more moves to make."

"Are you sure?" Dixie said with a mocking smile before moving another tile and completing the game. "Now tell me again!"

Diddy gawked at Dixie's play, while now she laughed victoriously. Suddenly, the door was knocked and they both got up to open it, it was Mr. Pinky.

"Yeah? What's up, Mr. Pinky?" Diddy asked.

"Uh, your four little friends have come," replied the teacher. "They're down there waiting for you; they say they want to talk to you."

Diddy and Dixie froze and were serious when they heard that, which Mr. Pinky noticed and assumed that something was not very right.

"What? Did something happen?" asked the teacher looking at them strangely.

"Uhh... no, it's okay," Dixie replied with a forced smile. "Tell them that in a while we'll go down."

Mr. Pinky left and closed the door and then went to talk to the group. Meanwhile, Diddy and Dixie looked at each other not knowing what to do now. Diddy went out of the bedroom window for a while, and tried to peek out of one of the branches of the tree in the house to look stealthy at the floor... Indeed, there was the quartet of their friends down there. Diddy immediately returned to the room.

"Yes... it's them," Diddy whispered to Dixie, rolling his eyes.

"And now what do we do?" Dixie asked the same way. "I don't want to see or talk to them."

"Me neither, and I have no idea what they came for."

Both were not in the mood to see them nor did they have any choice, but at the same time they were curious, so they decided to go down to see them anyway.

When they came down from the house, they saw the kong children again. Both of them were hesitant to take the last steps of the ladder, and then look at the four of them. These were also shown with faces of not knowing how to react, and avoided having prolonged eye contact with the two. Diddy and Dixie headed towards them without showing them any expression of excitement as they usually did normally.

"Hello," Diddy and Dixie said coldly and all serious.

"Uhh... hi?" answered the four simultaneously and with forced smiles.

There was an awkward moment of silence, as neither group knew how to speak. The four kids looked everywhere and then looked at them both not knowing what to say to them, while the pair just looked up at them and made small gestures of curiosity to get them to talk.

"Excuse us!" Melvyn said quickly before there was another moment of silence.

"Uhh... hey..." Mandy said with some embarrassment and hesitation to look at them. "It's that we wanted to tell you that... we're really... sorry. We haven't seen you all day and... we assumed you were mad at us, so we decided to come and see you and... we wanted to apologize if we gave you a bad time last night."