Chapter 75: Unforeseen by the Air

A dark view in its entirety was what Diddy's eyes were visualizing; everything seemed to be empty and with no notion of time. When suddenly... small sounds were beginning to be heard through his ears; they sounded like continuous squeals accompanied by redundant blows... Those squeals seemed to come from small primates that were getting louder and closer. Suddenly, the dark vision that Diddy perceived began to take color until he felt that he was awake. Instantly having regained full consciousness, Diddy opened his eyes... and the first thing he could observe were some bars all around him.

"W-what?!" Diddy exclaimed, immediately getting up to look at where he was.

Diddy was perplexed by what he witnessed: he was locked inside a cage, which was padlocked. He panicked immediately as he shook the bars of the cage. The setting where he was now was what appeared to be an outdoor esplanade in the afternoon. And not only he was in the same situation... Looking ahead, he could see three more cages where, enclosed in the same way, were three known groups in each one, whom he did not expect to see again. Diddy then turned to look at his own cage and immediately realized that Dixie was lying seemingly unconscious next to him.

"Dixie!" Diddy exclaimed, beginning to shake her in despair. "Dixie, tell me something, please!"

Suddenly, Dixie seemed to be coming to her senses, though not yet fully recovered.

"Dixie, wake up! I don't know where we are!"

"W-what... happens?" Dixie said as Diddy pulled her arm to lift her up. "What happened?"

"I don't know what place this is!" Diddy replied before pointing to the front. "And... and look at that!"

Dixie, having regained her sense of reality, made a gesture of enormous shock when she saw that, firstly, they were both locked in the cage, and second... three other cages were in front: in one of them, there was the very group of mandrills and orangutans; in the next cage was Jemky's quartet; and finally, in the last cage was Jenny's quartet.

"W-what... But how..." Dixie said, looking all confused at Diddy, and then looking towards the other cages.

The group of mandrills and orangutans stood silently as they stared earnestly at Diddy and Dixie. The kids from Jemky's quartet had an empty expression, in fact... they were seen with a lost look as the four of them were held together, as if trying to protect themselves... and as if they looked really scared; they were expressions that Diddy and Dixie had never seen on them before. Finally, the kids from Jenny's quartet were all jumping and pushing wildly the bars of the cage, as a sign of wanting to get out; from those four children was that came the squeals and hits that were heard at the beginning.

"Diddy... wh-what's all this?!" Dixie asked, not believing everything that was happening.

"I have no idea!" Diddy replied, tremblingly. "All this h-has to be a joke; maybe I'm dreamin-"

"The tamers!" Dixie interrupted. "The last thing that happened... was that they shot at us!"

Diddy and Dixie now felt lost; they had no idea how and why they were there. Then, although quite insecure, Diddy dared to ask the other apes with no other alternative.

"Hey!... You!" Diddy called the apes and Jemky's quartet. "What... What is this due to??! What happened?!"

But neither group wanted to answer them. The mandrills and orangutans even started emitting small growls as they looked at Diddy and Dixie angrily, which made them both uncomfortable. The bully children continued to look lost, while the mechanical ones kept trying to push the bars of the cage as wild animals.