Mutual Attraction : Part 9

As Ronal continues her work, Jake ushers the kids off, leaving only Aonung who stays to help his mother if she needs it.

Tuktirey holds her father's hand as they head on the path back home with Lo'ak. Kiri goes off with Tsireya to their favorite place in the cove of ancestors. Typically she would leave anyway to avoid Neteyam at the den or Kalín, but this time she just wants to spend extra time with her new lover.

When they reach the den, eclipse revealing the stars, Neteyam stands next to Kalín with a bowl in his hands as she stirs in the pot. Tuktirey runs up to her with a smile, greeting her happily, while Lo'ak goes over to his hammock.

Jake- Hey. I wasn't expecting you.

Kalín- This hungry boy here came and got me. He's been really sweet but I think it's just for the food.

Neteyam- Good to know you're smart.

Both Jake and Kalín laugh at how serious he is, then she finally gives him what he's been wanting. Neteyam blows on the food while going to sit down. Tuktirey gets her a bowl full next, and sits across from Neteyam.

Kalín- Kiri is still avoiding me I see.

Jake- Don't let it bother you, she's always been pretty difficult.

Lo'ak- This time she's not gone because of you, she's with her girlfriend.

Jake sits next to Neteyam with a bowl of food.

Jake- When did she get a girlfriend?

Neteyam- Today. They were falling from a cliff together like some dumbasses.

Lo'ak- You should be happy for her, not insulting her.

Neteyam- Now there's an idea. Show praise to the selfish sister that couldn't care less about me.

Lo'ak- You think you're affectionate?

Jake- Boys, not now.

Lo'ak- He's talking about her like he didn't treat us like shit first.

Neteyam- I didn't.

Lo'ak- Yes you did.

Jake groans, frustrated by having to listen to his sons argue again. Something that happens multiple times each day. Which is an annoying skill in his eyes, because they're only all in the den together once in the morning and once at night.

As they both get needlessly worked up, yelling at each other, Tuktirey attempts to get Neteyam's attention to help calm him down, but when she touches his arm he snarls at her.

Neteyam- Don't touch me!

She hides behind Jake when Neteyam reaches for his knife.

Lo'ak- Dude, she's our sister, chill the fuck out!

Neteyam- She's not my sister, she's a little murderer!

Jake- Hey!

He draws Neteyam's attention to him so he'll stop glaring at Tuktirey.

Jake- You know it wasn't her fault. Don't blame her.

Neteyam- It is her fault! The little shit couldn't keep up, we should've just left her behind!

Lo'ak- We should've left you behind!

Jake- Lo'ak, don't-

Lo'ak- You're no good to us! We should've just let you rot in chains!

Jake- Lo'ak!

Neteyam tackles him, and both boys begin fighting. Dragging each other along the floor with angry growls and insults. Jake sighs heavily, rubbing his eyes. Yet another fight has broken out between his sons. Usually he would pull them apart and send them separate ways to cool off, but this time he's thinking maybe he'll just let them fight until it's out of their systems for the night.

He stands abruptly and turns to Tuktirey.

Jake- Wanna sleep somewhere else tonight?

Tuktirey- Like where?

Jake- This nice peaceful spot I found while on a ride. There's a waterfall nearby.

With a gasp she nods her head excitedly. He smiles and takes her hand, leading her out of the den with Kalín exiting behind them.

Jake- We'll probably be back late tomorrow, can you check on them in the morning?

Kalín- Of course.

Jake- Thanks.

They leave both boys alone, fighting each other still.