Heart & Cure : Part 6

Nearing the evening, and after an unsuccessful search for Aonung and Neteyam, Lo'ak decides to return to the infirmary. Ronal has likely returned, and will probably be upset with him for leaving, but he'll be back, that's all that matters. To him, at least.

As he approaches the infirmary, the two he's spent hours looking for are right there walking into the den, hand in hand. With his determination returning, he runs after them, going into the den, but before he approaches them, he notices the frantic state of everyone inside.

Ronal is holding Rotxo's hand, rubbing the palm of it and telling him to stay awake, and Tsireya is pacing back and forth while Kiri tries to calm her. Aonung releases Neteyam's hand and rushes to his mother's side, looking over Rotxo in confusion.

Aonung- Mother, what's wrong with him? What's going on?

Ronal- His pulse is getting more faint, I need him to stay awake or he may stop breathing.

Aonung- What should I do?

Ronal- Talk to him, keep his brain working.

Aonung turns to look Rotxo in the eyes, speaking to him and seeing the boy is listening even though he isn't responding. Lo'ak watches with heavy worry, then Ronal notices his presence. She glares at him, making him shrink a little.

Ronal- Where have you been?

Neteyam turns around and looks at him, his presence becoming known by Ronal's words.

Lo'ak- I-I was-

Ronal- He wanted you here with him, and you left.

Lo'ak- I was just . . . Look, I'm back now, what should I do?

Víat- They're here! Tsahík, they're here!

Everyone looks to the entrance in surprise, then Aonung quickly looks back at Rotxo. The boy's eyes become unfocused, leaning behind his eyelids, and Aonung grabs onto his face trying to stir his concentration.

Ronal- Where are they?

Víat- They should be coming through the tunnel now, one of the guards saw them flying in and came to tell me.

Aonung- Rotxo, stay with me. Stay awake, they're coming.

He speaks frantically, making the boy's fading consciousness return, and Tsireya kneels next to Aonung, rubbing his shoulders. Then Rotxo's eyes suddenly close, and his chest relaxes as a breath is released, but another one isn't taken.

Aonung- Rotxo? Wake up. Wake the hell up!

Lo'ak- No . . .

An Ikran suddenly lands just outside the infirmary, startling many villagers. Jake and Koral jump off of it, running straight into the den. When the two see the heartbroken faces around them, Jake freezes, with the syringe and antidote bottle in hand. If the boy's blood is no longer flowing, the antidote won't work.

Koral- No!

Koral shoves past the others and kneels on top of Rotxo, his knees landing on either side of him. With determination, he immediately starts chest compressions, and refuses to just give up. He won't let Eywa take this boy's life on behalf of his venom. He can't let Rotxo die because of him.

Koral- Jake, do it!

Jake- But he's not-

Koral- I dono care! Do it! Now!

He practically screams at the man with a cracking voice, and Jake gives in. While filling the syringe, he ushers Ronal and her children aside and kneels down in their space. He grabs Rotxo's arm, and with a heavy breath, he injects him with the antidote, hoping it still works.

Once it's all in, he pulls back, while Koral continues his attempts at keeping Rotxo's blood flowing, working the antidote through his system.

Koral- Come on! Come on!

Everyone in the den watches with pained faces, anticipating the true outcome of this situation. Koral, the experiment, threat, and cause of this ordeal, refuses to believe things will end this way. He refuses to let it. This boy will survive. He'll make sure he does.

Suddenly, a breath is taken, and everyone gasps in relief, including Koral. He stops, watching Rotxo breath strongly on his own, through the flood of tears running from his eyes. It was his goal to make sure Rotxo was alive, and he wasn't planning to stop until that happened, but he's still so shocked it went the way he wanted.

The last thing he wanted to do was cause the death of yet another Na'vi that deserved to live, and he didn't have to. Rotxo is alive. He actually managed to save him. Victorious chatter erupts from around him, but he can't do anything but cry into his hands, so relieved yet still filled with the intense fear he had of killing someone else.

Ronal goes to his side, rubbing his back in an attempt to soothe him.

Ronal- You did it, child, you saved him.

He continues to cry, and Ronal looks at Jake for some assistance, but he just offers her an apologetic look. Then, Aonung comes over to them, and Ronal moves out of his way. He kneels down next to Koral, gently pulling the boy's hands away from his face. Two colored eyes of water look up at him, and he stands, pulling Koral with him.

They step away from Rotxo, then Aonung pulls him into a tight hug, surprising the tearful boy.

Aonung- None of this was your fault, but you fixed it. You saved him, and now he's okay.

He pulls away to look at Koral's face with sincerity.

Aonung- And you are too. This is over.

Koral nods, and he wipes the boy's tears from his face. Then, the Olo'eyktan enters strongly, looking at the ill boy under the blanket.

Tonowari- How is he?

Jake- He'll be fine, just give the antidote some time to work through his system. He should be able to hold his food again tomorrow morning.

Tonowari- Thank you, Jake.

Jake- Thank him.

Jake gestures to Koral, who turns around and sees Tonowari now looking at him. The chief never acted like he was angry for what he did, but the boy knew that deep down everyone held at least something against him for it.

Tonowari- You've done good, boy, I'm grateful.

The man smiles softly at him, making his tail sway, finally being able to feel happy with himself. Then, the man aims his gaze at Aonung

Tonowari- Now you, outside.