The Quake : Part 4

The heir runs through the woven pathways and straight to the beach, where many warriors are approaching the shore. As Tonowari nears, he gets off of his Skimwing and walks up onto the sand. Aonung approaches him happily, then sees the many bandages on his arms and legs.

Aonung- Father, what happ-

Tonowari- Get everyone on land and into the trees! Go, go, go!

His father yells orders to the warriors that were left behind, while the ones that were with him restock their weapons and begin to rally. He attempts to ask what's happening, but Jake's Ikran lands near him with a gust of wind, making him duck.

Jake- Enemies inbound! Let's move!

Aonung- Enemies?

He turns back to the horizon and sees more Ikran in the distance, but can't tell the amount. Someone suddenly grabs his arm, pulling him back from the shore. He looks up and sees a familiar guard. One his father often leaves to look out for them when he goes somewhere for longer than a day or two.

His name is Víat. The man has a family of his own, but Aonung has never had the pleasure of meeting them.

Tsireya- Aonung!

He turns and sees Tsireya coming through the many warriors, with Kiri following close behind while holding Tuktirey in her arms.

Víat- Tsireya, where is your mother?

She runs up to them and walks next to Aonung while speaking to their guard.

Tsireya- At home. What's going on?

Víat- The strange Na'vi are coming.

Tsireya- What?

Víat- They were attacked back in those destroyed lands, one of the warriors told me. Apparently we weren't the only ones that needed supplies. Now the enemy's reinforcements are after us.

Kiri suddenly turns, heading towards the dens. Tsireya is quick to grab her arm, stopping her.

Tsireya- What're you doing?

Kiri- Going to get my brothers.

Tsireya- But-

Kiri- You go on, we'll catch up.

Tsireya- I'll take Tuk then.

She hands her sister over to Tsireya then goes running through the crowd of families coming from their homes. Víat leads them about halfway to the edge of the forest, then turns back.

Víat- Stay here, I'm going for your mother.

He momentarily stops to greet a woman with a kiss, and pats the head of a girl about their age, then continues back into the woven pathways. The girl's eyes momentarily lock with Aonung's gaze, until he suddenly realizes something.

Aonung- Crap, I'll be right back.

Tsireya- What? Aonung!

Just as he reaches the paths, another horn sounds, deeper in tone. The enemy has breached, landing directly into their village. He looks up for a moment, seeing the many strangers on Ikran.

Suddenly he's tackled right off the path and into the water below. Once his vision clears underwater, he sees Neteyam holding a finger up to his mouth. Above them, someone lands on the path, pulling out a gun and running off.

Slowly they rise up to the surface, directly under the woven material. Lo'ak surfaces right behind his brother, making eye contact with him for a moment before he faces Neteyam again.

Aonung- Thanks for the save.

Neteyam- Don't fuckin' thank me, be more aware of your surroundings.

Aonung- . . . Sorry.

Neteyam- One shot from that weapon is enough to end your life. Don't let me have to protect you again.

Aonung- Okay.

Neteyam- Now come, we have to get out of here. Our best chance is to stay out of sight, those creatures are barbaric.

Aonung- I can't leave, I have to get Rotxo.

Neteyam- He's as good as dead, leave him.

Aonung- I can't.

Neteyam- You can and will, or I'll leave your ass behind. Now let's go.

Neteyam turns and dives, beginning to swim off with Lo'ak diving behind him, but Aonung isn't going anywhere. He goes over to the side, pulling himself back up onto the path. Lo'ak notices and goes towards the surface, but Neteyam is quick to pull him back.

Lo'ak looks at him with a frantic shake of his head, but Neteyam ignores him, and gestures for him to swim in the direction they were going. With a slight glare, Lo'ak does as he was told, but Neteyam stops and turns around. Looking up at the disoriented figure of the path Aonung climbed back onto.