Hidden Battles : Part 9

Out in the woven pathways, Aonung storms along, attempting to calm himself so he can think clearly, but knows he needs a distraction to help with that.

He stops in his tracks, thinking of someone that's been getting very close to him lately, and sending many signals. With that person in mind, he heads for the Sully den.

As he approaches, he sees the fire is out, and figures in hammocks. He sighs, but knows it's late, so he shouldn't be surprised. He follows the path around their den, thinking of something else as he approaches the back.

Lo'ak- Aonung?

He stops and turns around, but doesn't see anyone.

Lo'ak- Up here.

Looking up, he sees Lo'ak sliding himself off the roof, and landing behind him. The boy comes up to his side with a small smile, his tail swaying slightly.

Lo'ak- What are you doing?

Aonung- Just . . . Looking for something to do. A distraction.

Lo'ak observes his expression for a moment.

Lo'ak- Want some company?

He stares up at him, his tail curling a bit as it sways. It makes Aonung's face warm just the slightest.

Aonung- That's what I came here for, actually.

Lo'ak- Okay.

Lo'ak grabs his hand, gently pulling him as he takes a few steps away.

Lo'ak- Let's go for a swim.

With a soft smile, he allows Lo'ak to lead him towards the beach. This is exactly why he came looking for the younger Sully brother. Recently he's become an effortless distraction for the marine boy. Giving him a foreign feeling that he can't name, but isn't opposed to.

Rather than lead him to where they usually go, he starts heading to the edge of the village.

Aonung- Aren't we gonna swim?

Lo'ak- Yeah, but, not in sight. I'm not supposed to be out.

Aonung- Since when?

Lo'ak- Since today.

The sudden rule confuses Aonung, but he doesn't ask on it any further. Once they exit the village, going past a few trees and shrubs, they come up to a dead end and Lo'ak stands confused.

Aonung- Do you know where you're going?

Lo'ak- Uh . . . Sorta.

He looks around and sees a ledge, low enough for them to climb onto. He pulls Aonung over to it, then lets him go to climb. Aonung climbs up after him, expecting him to hold his hand again, then being slightly disappointed when he doesn't.

Lo'ak walks in front of him, acting like he knows where they're going. Then they finally find a beach. It's small, with many rocks, but the gentle sound of small waves makes it serene. With a smile, Lo'ak turns to face him.

Lo'ak- See? I found us a good spot.

Aonung- Accidentally.

Lo'ak- I still found it though. Come on.

He turns and runs out to the rocky beach with excitement, and Aonung jogs after him. As Lo'ak reaches the shore, he runs his hand along some large rocks. He looks back at Aonung before entering the water. The marine boy enters after him, and is quick to dive under. Lo'ak takes a breath, then mimics him.

He's eager to explore the new landscape, so he motions for Lo'ak to follow him. There isn't a lot, so they only swim for a little while before resurfacing and heading back to shore. Aonung sits right on the end, letting the water reach his feet. The Sully boy sits next to him, folding his legs.

He's enjoying himself, as he does every time he's with Aonung, but he can't help but wonder what the boy needed a distraction from. He moves from his spot, then sits on his knees behind Aonung, fiddling with his bun.

Lo'ak- Can I take this out?

Aonung- Why?

Lo'ak- So I can play with your hair.

Aonung lets out an airy chuckle at his matter-of-fact tone.

Aonung- Sure.

With a happy sway in his tail, he lets Aonung's wet hair out of its bun. He runs his fingers through it gently, pulling out a few tangles.

Lo'ak- So, what did you need a distraction from?

Aonung- . . . I couldn't help Rotxo.

Lo'ak- Hey, it's fine. He can feel again, right?

Aonung- Yes, but that isn't the problem.

Lo'ak continues combing his hands through his hair as he listens.

Lo'ak- Then what is?

Aonung- That numbness, he did it to himself.

His working hands suddenly stop.

Aonung- That year when we were young, and I thought I was helping him, I wasn't doing anything. He was doing that to himself and I was blind to it.

His hands slowly begin to move again, attempting to ease the frustration he hears in Aonung's voice.

Aonung- And now he can feel again, but he resents us because of it . . . And there's nothing I can do about that . . . I feel so useless.

Lo'ak- Aonung.

Lo'ak stands from his spot, then goes to kneel in front of Aonung, placing a hand on his head to hold his gaze.

Lo'ak- You aren't useless, Rotxo is just difficult.

Aonung stares into Lo'ak's sincere golden eyes. He wants to believe him and be done with feeling sorry for himself, but he can't. He averts his gaze, but Lo'ak is quick to shake him a bit to make him look back at him.

Lo'ak- Hey, look at me. You didn't spend a year doing nothing. Rotxo became your friend, you must've been doing something.

He has a valid point. Aonung may not have cured his pain, but he certainly gained his friendship, that goes without question. Realizing what he had momentarily forgotten, Aonung's mood lightens some, and his doubtful thoughts cease to exist. Yet, he doesn't smile.

Perhaps it's because deep down he's still upset, or perhaps it's because Lo'ak's face is so very close to his own. Stirring up that foreign feeling again.