An Array of Feelings : Part 10

Lo'ak heads to the infirmary, and as he thought, his siblings are still there. He walks in and their eyes immediately land on him. For some reason this startles him, his nervous behavior still lingering from Rotxo's actions.

Lo'ak- W-What?

They exchange confused looks when he stutters. Then Kiri finally asks . . .

Kiri- What's got you so flustered?

Lo'ak- I'm not.

Tsireya- It's written all over your face, you aren't fooling anyone.

Kiri- Did something scare you? I've haven't seen you this expressive in a long time.

Lo'ak- Uh, yeah, actually. Rotxo scared the shit outta me.

Not a lie, just enough of the truth to let them assume what could've happened.

Aonung- So that's what he was doing. I was wondering where he disappeared to.

Kiri- You guys were arguing the whole way back, it's no wonder.

Tsireya- Don't let it bother you, he's just an ass.

Lo'ak- Yeah, I caught onto that.

Tuktirey- He's not that bad.

Kiri- Of course you'd say that. You guys are besties now.

Tsireya- Sounds like someone's a little jelly.

Kiri- Am not.

Tsireya- Are too!

Aonung- Don't take it personally, Kiri, he's not easy to understand.

Kiri- Spare me.

Tsireya- Kiri has a crush on him.

Kiri yanks Tsireya's ear for telling what she kept secret.

Tsireya- I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I had to tell!

Kiri- That is not an apology or an excuse.

Aonung- Good luck with him.

Kiri- You aren't gonna help?

He gives her an apologetic look, and she rolls her eyes, fed up with the situation. She stands from her spot and Tuktirey copies her.

Kiri- Okay, well today was nice, sorta. But, it's time to prepare dinner, so we'll see you guys tomorrow.

Tsireya- Bright and early.

Kiri- Yeah, yeah, we know.

Kiri leads her sister out by the hand, and Lo'ak follows them in silence. Leaving Tsireya and Aonung in a bit of a tense mood.

Aonung- I . . . I assumed you and Kiri were-

Tsireya- Don't. I haven't told her yet.

She goes quiet again, thinking over it. He knows he doesn't have to tell her she should come clean sooner rather than later, so he simply pats her head reassuringly. Silent encouragement.

As the Sully kids approach their den, the smell of cooking food fills their noses. Kiri and Lo'ak exchange a look, thinking their father couldn't possibly be cooking. He's been, respectfully, useless at home since they've been here.

They walk in, and Kiri's tail immediately stands on edge as she eyes the strange woman above the fire filling a bowl of whatever she prepared. She looks to her father, sitting comfortably as the woman hands him the bowl she filled. He thanks her then looks at his children.

The woman turns to face them with a bashful smile.

Jake- How was practice?

He's speaking to them again, and his face doesn't look quite so dull. Thinking all of this is because of some strange woman, Kiri can hardly contain her anger. Tuktirey, on the other hand, steps happily forward but Kiri pulls her back.

Kiri- Who is that?

Jake- This is Kalín, she's a friend. She prepared food for us so you could have a break.