Chapter Fifty-Seven: Prt. 1

Good things hardly ever last. Shortly after we finished paying, a sleek black car pulled up in front of the shop. Seo-ah held us back while she talked to whoever it was. When she got to the car, the passenger window rolled down revealing Chin-hae in the driver's seat. I couldn't tell if anyone else was in the back since the windows were tinted very dark. Surely it wasn't legal to have them like that.

"Is something wrong?"

Haruki smiled nervously at me. He was trying not to be nervous for my sake but it was quite obvious this whole situation was making him uneasy. What was up with Chin-hae that everyone seemed to be so afraid of him? Seo-ah was better at hiding it but as soon as he entered the picture, you could see her posture tense.

"Don't worry! Maybe he's just hungry?"

The last part came out more like a question. Like if he was asking me whether or not Chin-hae needed a Snickers.

Both of them talked for a good five painful minutes before Seo-ah gave a small bow then walked back inside. Her face was unreadable but her footsteps dragged just a millisecond longer than they should. What? Did something happen at the Bird Garden? Or did Jong-su need a message delivered?

"Ila, Chin-hae will be taking you to your uncle's place."

Wh-what?

Haruki's eyes widened, "Why? Why not have us?"

"Yes, I will be more than happy to drop her off. Shall I contact Jong-su to have it arranged?"

She shook her head, "There will be no need Richard. It seems he's made his decision. We were lucky enough to have her so long to begin with. Come on now then, Ila. You must go home."

I know the idea of going home was supposed to make me happy but I was only nervous. Nervous to confront my Uncle and tell him why I had left last night and why I'm coming back dressed as I am. I don't know what to tell him about any of this, or rather, how I'm supposed to lie to him about any of it. I'm known for my horrible lying skills.

So this conversation is going to hurt the both of us. He will stand there expecting me to have changed, to tell him the truth in full confidence while I lie clearly to his face. He would beg me, he would actually beg me to tell him what's wrong and there's nothing I could do about it. That sick old man shouldn't have been so good hearted. Then it would've been that much easier to not tell the truth.

All of this also leaves a very strange feeling in my stomach. The three people that seem to not want to do me harm have no idea what was happening. That meant that Jong-su was acting out on his own and anything could happen to me when I stepped into that car.

It was made obvious that none of them were allowed to join me. So it would be me and that man who they were all afraid of. I knew that this wouldn't be a simple drive home. Something would be asked of me and I would be expected to comply. And that terrified me.

I closed my eyes then took a quick breath. Well, whatever is waiting for me inside of that car, then let fear be absent on my face. Let's not give them the satisfaction of knowing that they're slowly breaking me. I ran my fingers through my hair then pressed my lips firmly together. The rest of my face fell into a serious expression.

A small bell rang above me as I stepped out of the store. Everything inside of me was screaming that I took the back seat. But that would've been the coward's way out and I was desperately trying not to look like one right now. I bent over the car, leaning one arm casually over the top then gently tapped on the window with the knuckle of my index finger.

There was a moment of silence before the window came rolling down.

"Hey, do you mind if we stop by somewhere?"