Chapter 4

Part 6: The Truth Unveiled

A few days later, Rosetta found herself standing outside Lucius's office at the Ministry, her heart pounding with a mixture of fear and determination. The not knowing had been eating at her ever since Lucius had hinted at her boyfriend's secrets. She needed to know the truth, even if it meant confronting Lucius again.

Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door and waited for his response. A moment later, his smooth voice called out, "Enter."

Rosetta pushed the door open and stepped inside, her eyes immediately locking onto Lucius's. He was seated behind his desk, a stack of parchment in front of him, but he set his quill down as she approached.

"Rosetta," he greeted, a hint of surprise in his voice. "To what do I owe this unexpected visit?"

She closed the door behind her, needing the privacy for what she was about to ask. "I need to know what you found out about Daniel. The not knowing has been driving me mad."

Lucius leaned back in his chair, studying her intently. "Are you sure you want to know? Sometimes, the truth can be more painful than the uncertainty."

Rosetta nodded firmly. "I need to know, Lucius. Please."

Seeing the determination in her eyes, Lucius stood and walked around his desk, coming to stand in front of her. "Very well," he said quietly. "But understand, I did this for your sake, not to hurt you."

He led her to a small seating area in the corner of his office, gesturing for her to sit. Once they were both seated, he began.

"Daniel Harrington has a respectable public persona, but there are some discrepancies in his past. During his time abroad, there were several instances of questionable dealings. Minor infractions, but significant enough to raise concerns."

Rosetta's heart sank. "What kind of dealings?"

Lucius's gaze was unwavering. "There were accusations of bribery and embezzlement during his tenure with the International Magical Cooperation. These were never proven, but the records show a pattern of large, unaccounted-for withdrawals from his Gringotts account during that period."

Rosetta felt a cold chill run down her spine. "And these accusations... they never led to any formal charges?"

Lucius shook his head. "No, they were swept under the rug, likely due to lack of concrete evidence. But the pattern is there, and it's concerning."

Rosetta's mind raced. She had always trusted Daniel, but this information cast a shadow over everything she thought she knew about him. "Why didn't he tell me about this?"

Lucius reached out, placing a reassuring hand on her arm. "Perhaps he didn't want to worry you. Or perhaps he hoped you would never find out. People hide things for various reasons, Rosetta, not all of them nefarious."

She looked up at him, her eyes filled with turmoil. "Why are you telling me this? What do you gain from it?"

Lucius's expression softened. "I gain nothing but your trust, Rosetta. I care about you, and I don't want to see you hurt by someone who might not be what he seems."

Rosetta's eyes narrowed as she processed his words. "You're falsifying these documents, Lucius," she accused, her voice steady but laced with anger. "You would do anything to get what you want, and I won't let you manipulate me like this."

Lucius's demeanor shifted instantly, his eyes darkening with anger. He stood abruptly, leaning over his desk to close the distance between them. "How dare you accuse me of such deceit?" he snarled, his voice low and dangerous. "I am many things, Rosetta, but a liar is not one of them."