Chapter 59

The Drive Home

The car was enveloped in a heavy silence as Lucius drove them home. The glow of the streetlights flickered past, casting fleeting shadows across Rosetta's face as she stared out the window, lost in her thoughts. The weight of the evening's events pressed down on her, and she could feel the emotional toll it had taken.

Lucius glanced at her, concern etched on his features. "Are you alright, Princess?"

She took a deep breath, her voice barely above a whisper. "I rescinded the offer to have Mattheo be part of my staff. I realized I can no longer, in good conscience, make him suffer. I decided to let him move on."

Lucius's grip on the steering wheel tightened slightly, his heart aching for his wife. He could see how deeply this decision had impacted her. "You did what was best for both of you, Rosetta. For you and for Mattheo."

She nodded, wiping away a tear that had slipped down her cheek. "I know. But it doesn't make it any less difficult."

Lucius reached over, taking her hand in his. "Have you developed feelings for him?"

Rosetta shook her head, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "It's worse, Lucius. Mattheo is my friend. A trusted confidant. And now, I can no longer continue that friendship. It hurts to let him go."

Lucius's heart ached for her, understanding the complexity of her emotions. "I understand, Rosetta. Friendships can be just as profound, if not more so, than romantic relationships. You made a difficult but necessary decision, and that shows your strength and compassion."

Rosetta looked at him, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Lucius. For understanding. It's just... I never thought it would come to this."

Lucius squeezed her hand gently, his voice filled with empathy. "Sometimes, the hardest decisions are the ones that are best for everyone involved. You've shown incredible bravery and selflessness tonight. And I'm proud of you for that."

Rosetta leaned her head against the window, her mind replaying the conversation with Mattheo. She knew it was the right choice, but it didn't lessen the pain of saying goodbye to a friend.

As they pulled into the driveway of Malfoy Manor, the familiar sight of their home brought a sense of comfort. Lucius parked the car and turned to her, his eyes filled with love and understanding.

"We'll get through this, Rosetta. Together. And you'll find new strength in the days to come."

Rosetta nodded, feeling the warmth of his words wrap around her like a comforting embrace. "Thank you, Lucius. I don't know what I'd do without you."

He leaned over, kissing her forehead tenderly. "And you won't have to find out. I'm here for you, always."

They sat there for a moment, the silence now filled with a shared understanding and connection. Rosetta knew that the road ahead would be challenging, but with Lucius by her side, she felt ready to face whatever came next.

Together, they stepped out of the car and walked into the manor, ready to begin a new chapter, strengthened by the bonds of love and friendship that had guided them through the night's trials.

The Fall of the Rook

In the still of the night, Mattheo sat alone in his study, the silence pressing heavily around him. The events of the day weighed on his mind, and he couldn't shake the feelings of confusion and longing that churned within him. Unable to sleep, he found himself reaching for his spellphone.

Despite having deleted the surveillance app earlier, the pull to see Rosetta once more was too strong. He reinstalled it, his fingers trembling slightly as he opened the familiar interface. The screen flickered to life, and there she was—Rosetta, sitting behind her scrolltop, the soft glow illuminating her face.

She looked sad, her eyes downcast and her expression heavy with emotion. Mattheo's heart ached as he watched her, knowing that he was at least partially responsible for the pain etched on her features. She was diligently working, her fingers moving across the parchment, but there was a distant look in her eyes, as if her mind was elsewhere.

Is it because of me? he wondered, the thought tearing at him. Is she sad because of what happened between us?

His chest tightened with a mixture of guilt and longing. He had tried to keep his feelings at bay, to maintain a professional distance, but the bond he felt with Rosetta was undeniable. Seeing her like this, so vulnerable and alone, stirred something deep within him.

Mattheo leaned back in his chair, his eyes never leaving the screen. He felt a surge of protectiveness, a desire to reach out and comfort her, to tell her that everything would be alright. But he knew he couldn't. Not now. Not after everything that had happened.

You did this, he thought bitterly. You put her in this position. You made her choose.

Unable to keep his thoughts to himself any longer, Mattheo reached for his scrolltop. He began to type, pouring his heart into the words, hoping that they might offer some comfort or clarity to Rosetta.

Subject: Thank You

Dear Rosetta,

I hope this message finds you well, although I know tonight has been difficult for both of us. I want you to know that my intention is not to make you feel bad, but to share my feelings honestly and openly.

First and foremost, I want to thank you for your decision. I know it wasn't easy, but it was the right choice for both of us. You've always had an incredible ability to see the bigger picture, to make decisions that benefit everyone involved, even when they are personally painful.

Your strength and resilience have always been an inspiration to me. Watching you navigate this campaign with such grace and determination has only deepened my respect and admiration for you. You are an extraordinary woman, and I am honored to have been a part of your journey.

While my feelings for you have been complex and at times overwhelming, I understand that our paths are meant to diverge. You've made the right call, and I respect you for that. I also want you to know that I harbor no resentment or ill will—only gratitude for the time we've spent working together and the lessons I've learned from you.

Please, take care of yourself. Know that I am always here to support you, even from afar. Your happiness and success mean more to me than anything, and I trust that you will continue to shine brightly in everything you do.

With deepest respect and affection,

Mattheo

Mattheo stared at the screen for a moment before hitting send, his heart pounding. He watched through the surveillance app as Rosetta paused, her attention drawn to the new email notification.

She opened the email, her eyes scanning the typed words. As she read, Mattheo could see the emotions play across her face—sadness, understanding, and a hint of relief. She wiped away a tear, and for a moment, he thought he saw a small, grateful smile.

Thank you, Rosetta, he thought, his heart aching with the bittersweet reality of their situation. You made the right choice.

As she finished reading, Rosetta looked up, as if sensing Mattheo's presence. Though separated by distance and circumstances, in that moment, they shared a silent understanding.

Mattheo closed the surveillance app, a sense of peace settling over him. He had said what he needed to say, and now it was time to move forward. With a final, deep breath, he finished his whiskey and prepared to face the new day, hopeful that both he and Rosetta would find the happiness they deserved.