Chapter 7

Part 17: Breaking the News

Rosetta returned home with a heavy heart, knowing she had a difficult task ahead. The warmth of her apartment felt cold and uninviting as she prepared herself for the conversation with Daniel. She found him in the living room, reading a book, completely unaware of the storm about to hit.

"Daniel, we need to talk," Rosetta said, her voice trembling but resolute.

Daniel looked up, his brow furrowing with concern. "What is it, Rosetta? You look upset."

She took a deep breath, steadying herself. "I need to end our relationship. I've realized that I need something different, something that we can't have together."

Daniel's eyes widened in shock and pain. "What? Rosetta, where is this coming from? I thought we were happy."

Rosetta felt a pang of guilt but remained firm. "I've been feeling this way for a while. I just didn't know how to tell you. It's not your fault, Daniel. It's just something I need to do for myself."

Daniel stood up, setting his book aside. He walked over to her, searching her eyes for some explanation that would make sense. "Is there someone else?" he asked, his voice cracking.

Rosetta hesitated, then nodded. "Yes, there is. But this isn't just about someone else, Daniel. It's about me realizing what I need and what I want. And it isn't fair to you to stay in a relationship when my heart isn't fully in it."

The pain in Daniel's eyes was almost too much to bear. "I can't believe this, Rosetta. We've been together for so long. I thought we were building a future together."

Tears welled up in Rosetta's eyes, and she blinked them away. "I know, and I'm so sorry. I care about you deeply, but this is something I have to do. I need to find out who I am and what I really want. And I can't do that while we're together."

Daniel ran a hand through his hair, his frustration evident. "So, what happens now? You just move on with this other guy, and I'm supposed to pack up and leave?"

Rosetta took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "I know this is hard, but I need you to move out by the end of the week. I can help you find a place, and we can figure out the logistics, but I need you to understand that this is final."

Daniel looked at her, his eyes filled with a mixture of hurt and anger. "You're really serious about this, aren't you?"

She nodded, her heart breaking for the pain she was causing him. "Yes, Daniel. I am. I've thought about this a lot, and I know it's the right thing to do. For both of us."

He turned away, trying to process everything. "I never thought it would end like this," he muttered. "I thought we had more time."

Rosetta stepped closer, wanting to offer some comfort but knowing it would be hollow. "I'm sorry, Daniel. I really am. But staying together when I'm not fully committed would only hurt us both in the long run."

He faced her again, his expression a mixture of resignation and sadness. "I guess I don't have a choice, do I?"

She shook her head slowly. "No, you don't. But I want to make this as easy as possible for you. We can talk about the logistics tomorrow, and I'll help in any way I can."

Daniel sighed heavily, nodding. "Alright. I'll start looking for a place. But I need some time to process this."

"Take all the time you need," Rosetta said softly. "I understand."

As Daniel retreated to the bedroom, Rosetta sank onto the couch, feeling the weight of what she had just done. The apartment felt emptier than ever, but she knew she had made the right decision. The path ahead was uncertain, but she had taken the first step.