Chapter 53

The Next Morning at Malfoy Manor

The early morning light filtered through the heavy drapes of the bedroom, casting a soft glow over the room. Rosetta stood by the vanity, brushing her hair and getting ready for the day. The events of the past days weighed heavily on her mind, and she felt a deep longing for the simplicity of their old life.

Lucius, buttoning up his shirt, glanced over at her. He could sense the heaviness in her demeanor, the silent questions she seemed to be wrestling with.

"Lucius," Rosetta began, her voice soft and tentative, "do you ever think about our old life? About how things used to be before all of this?"

Lucius paused, turning to look at her, his expression hardening. "Of course I do, Rosetta. But we can't look back. We have to look forward."

Rosetta's eyes widened with a mixture of fear and frustration. "I miss it sometimes, the simplicity, the peace. Do you think there's a chance we can ever go back?"

Lucius walked over to her, his movements tense. "No, Rosetta, there's no going back. We've committed to this path, and we have to see it through. The stakes are too high to turn back now."

She felt her resolve crumbling. "So, what are you saying? That I should just ignore my values and do whatever they say?"

Lucius's voice was harsh. "I'm saying that sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good. These people, the Berkshires, Manuel Ferrara, they are powerful and will stop at nothing to get what they want. We can't afford to defy them."

Rosetta's eyes filled with tears as she absorbed his words. She felt a crushing sense of defeat wash over her. "I can't fight this anymore, Lucius. If this is what it takes to win, then fine. I'll do what I'm told. I'll be a pawn."

Lucius's expression softened for a moment, but then he grabbed her shoulders, his grip firm. "Rosetta, you are not a pawn. You are my wife, and we are in this together. Running away would be futile. We need to face this head-on, together."

Her voice shook as she replied, "But I'm losing myself, Lucius. I don't know who I am anymore."

He cupped her face in his hands, his tone dominant and reassuring. "You are Rosetta Malfoy, my wife, and the future leader we need. I need you to stay strong. We can't let them see any weakness. Do you understand me?"

She nodded, tears streaming down her face. "I understand. I'll try, for you."

Lucius pulled her into a tight embrace, his voice softening. "We will get through this, Rosetta. We have to. But we need to be strong and united."

The morning air was crisp and cool as Rosetta stepped out of Malfoy Manor. The argument with Lucius still weighed heavily on her mind, leaving her feeling shaken and vulnerable.

She made her way to the driveway, where Mattheo leaned casually against his 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. The car, with its deep green paint gleaming in the morning light, exuded power and intensity, much like its owner.

Mattheo looked up as she approached, his piercing gaze softening slightly when he saw her. "Good morning, Rosetta," he greeted, his voice smooth and steady. "Ready for another day?"

Rosetta forced a small smile, still feeling the residual tension from the argument. "Good morning, Mattheo. Ready as I'll ever be."

Mattheo's eyes flickered with concern as he took in her appearance. "I noticed your car was gone last night. Where did you go?"

Rosetta sighed, running a hand through her hair, her fingers trembling slightly. "I had to go for a drive to clear my mind. Everything is just so overwhelming right now."