Chapter 89

Dr. Vale had always been meticulous, a trait that served him well in both his professional and personal life. Tonight, his apartment was the perfect stage for his latest orchestration. 

The aroma of French cuisine wafted through the air, a tantalizing blend of rich sauces and delicate spices. The dinner party was set to begin, and he had spared no effort in preparing an exquisite meal for his guests.

Lucius and Rosetta Malfoy, along with Mattheo Riddle, arrived at Dr. Vale's apartment promptly. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, a stark contrast to the undercurrents of tension that swirled beneath the surface. Dr. Vale greeted them with a smile, his eyes twinkling with an uncharacteristic lightness.

"Welcome, welcome," he said, ushering them inside. "I hope you're all hungry. I've prepared a feast."

The dining table was elegantly set, adorned with candles and fine china. The centerpiece was a lavish spread of French dishes: coq au vin, beef bourguignon, escargot, and a selection of artisanal cheeses and fresh bread. Dr. Vale had even taken the time to decant a fine red wine, its deep ruby hue reflecting the flickering candlelight.

As they took their seats, Dr. Vale moved gracefully around the kitchen, bringing out the first course. He served each dish with a flourish, his smile never wavering. "Bon appétit," he said, raising his glass in a toast. "To new beginnings."

Lucius exchanged a wary glance with Rosetta, his brow furrowed with concern. "Gideon," he began cautiously, "what's the occasion? You seem particularly... buoyant tonight."

Dr. Vale chuckled, a low, pleasant sound that filled the room. "Ah, Lucius, always so perceptive. I suppose you could say I'm in high spirits because a certain matter has been resolved."

Mattheo leaned forward, his eyes sharp. "And what matter would that be?"

"The Berkshires," Dr. Vale said smoothly, taking a sip of his wine. "They will no longer trouble us. They have... disappeared."

A heavy silence fell over the room. Rosetta's fork clattered onto her plate, her eyes wide with shock. "Disappeared?" she echoed, her voice trembling. "What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said," Dr. Vale replied, his tone even. "They are gone, without a trace. It's a good thing, trust me."

Lucius's jaw tightened. "And how did you manage that?"

Dr. Vale's smile broadened, but his eyes remained cold. "Some things are best left unsaid, my friend. Just know that the Berkshires will no longer pose a threat to our plans."

The unease was palpable. Mattheo's fingers drummed against the table, his mind racing. "Gideon, are you certain this won't come back to haunt us?"

"Absolutely," Dr. Vale said firmly. "Their disappearance is a clean break. No one will link it back to us. Now, enough of these dark thoughts. Eat up, enjoy the meal."

Despite their reservations, the guests began to eat. Dr. Vale watched them closely, his satisfaction growing with each bite they took. The rich flavors of the food seemed to soothe their anxieties, even if just for a moment.

The dinner continued, filled with polite conversation and forced laughter. Dr. Vale remained the perfect host, ensuring that their glasses were never empty and their plates were always full. He reveled in the knowledge that he had accomplished what needed to be done, securing the Malfoys' future and his place within their circle.

As the evening drew to a close, the guests thanked Dr. Vale for his hospitality, their earlier worries now dulled by the wine and food. They left with a mix of relief and lingering unease, uncertain of what the future held but trusting, for now, in Dr. Vale's assurances.