Chapter 54

The Next Morning at Malfoy Manor

The next morning, Rosetta was sipping her coffee in the kitchen when she heard the unmistakable roar of an engine outside. She walked to the window and saw Mattheo's Mustang skidding to a halt in the driveway, kicking up gravel and drawing the attention of the household. The car's engine roared one last time before it was shut off abruptly.

Mattheo stepped out of the car, slamming the door with a force that echoed through the grounds. He looked disheveled and tense, his jaw clenched and his movements sharp. Rosetta hurried to meet him at the door, concern etched on her face.

"Mattheo, what on earth is wrong with you?" she asked, trying to keep her voice calm despite the tension she felt.

He ran a hand through his hair, exhaling sharply. "Had a bad morning," he muttered, his eyes avoiding hers. "Broke my damn phone."

Rosetta's concern deepened. "I can see that. Are you okay?"

"It's none of your concern," he snapped, then softened slightly. "I'm sorry, Rosetta. I didn't mean to take it out on you. I'll drop you off at work and then head to the spellphone store."

The tension between them was palpable, and Rosetta decided not to pry further. She knew Mattheo well enough to understand that pushing him would only make things worse. "Alright," she said softly. "I'm here if you want to talk about it."

He looked at her for a moment, a flicker of gratitude in his eyes, before he nodded. "Thanks. Let's go."

They walked to his Mustang, the silence between them heavy with unspoken words. As they drove, the powerful engine growled, matching the mood inside the car. Rosetta glanced at Mattheo occasionally, noting the tight grip he had on the steering wheel and the tension in his shoulders.

"You don't have to hold everything in, you know," she said gently, breaking the silence. "I'm here for you, Mattheo. We all have bad days."

He didn't respond immediately, his jaw working as he seemed to struggle with his emotions. Finally, he let out a sigh. "It's just... everything's piling up. The pressure, the expectations... It's getting to me."

Rosetta reached over and placed a comforting hand on his arm. "I understand. Just remember, you're not alone in this."

He clenched his jaw, his eyes focused on the road ahead. "It's my burden to bear, Rosetta. Not yours."

The tension in the car was palpable, the air heavy with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. Rosetta could feel the walls Mattheo was putting up, the effort it took him to maintain his composure.

"I know you're strong, Mattheo," she said softly. "But even the strongest need support sometimes."

He didn't respond immediately, his grip tightening on the steering wheel. After a few moments, he sighed deeply. "I appreciate your concern, but some things are better kept to oneself."

Rosetta decided to respect his need for privacy, knowing that pushing him would only make things worse. "Alright. Just know that I'm here if you ever want to talk."

They continued the rest of the drive in silence, the powerful engine of the Mustang roaring through the streets. When they arrived at the campaign headquarters, Mattheo parked the car and turned to her.

"Have a good day at work," he said, his tone more composed but still strained.

"You too, Mattheo," she replied, giving him a reassuring smile. "Take care of yourself."

As she stepped out of the car and watched him drive away, Rosetta couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to Mattheo's bad morning than he was letting on. But for now, she had to focus on her own day, hoping that he would find the strength to face whatever demons were haunting him.