Chapter 12

Confronting Jealousy and Dreams

A couple of weeks had passed since the punishment, but the insidious jealousy still lingered within Rosetta. It gnawed at her, resurfacing in moments of doubt and insecurity. One evening, as they sat in Lucius's study, the tension finally boiled over.

"Lucius," Rosetta began, her voice strained, "I need to ask you something."

He looked up from his book, sensing the seriousness in her tone. "Of course, Rosetta. What's on your mind?"

She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "Why won't you just divorce Narcissa? Why keep this charade going if it's truly over between you two?"

Lucius sighed, setting his book aside and leaning forward. "Rosetta, it's not as simple as that. In our world, appearances matter. A divorce could cause a scandal, damage my reputation, and complicate things for Draco. For someone of my stature, it's more complex than just ending a marriage."

Rosetta felt a surge of irritation. "I wish I had known that you would never divorce her before we started sleeping together. I don't want to be the other woman, Lucius."

He reached for her hand, his expression earnest. "You are not the other woman, Rosetta. You are the only woman in my life. Narcissa and I are nothing more than a formality."

She pulled her hand away, frustration evident in her eyes. "It doesn't feel that way. It feels like I'm living in someone else's shadow. Like I'm second place, no matter what you say."

Lucius's face hardened slightly, but he took a deep breath, trying to remain calm. "I understand how you feel, Rosetta. But you need to trust that my commitment is to you, regardless of my marital status on paper."

Rosetta shook her head, tears welling up. "But how can I believe that when you won't make it official? How can I not feel like I'm just... temporary?"

He stood up, closing the distance between them and placing his hands on her shoulders. "You are not temporary, Rosetta. My actions, my presence, my devotion—all of that is for you. I understand that the situation is far from ideal, but I need you to trust me."

She looked up at him, her eyes filled with pain. "It's hard, Lucius. I want to believe you, but this constant feeling of being in the background, of not being enough—it's suffocating."

Lucius's expression softened, and he gently cupped her face in his hands. "Rosetta, listen to me. You are more than enough. You are everything to me. I know this situation isn't fair to you, but my heart, my loyalty, my love—they are all yours. You are not in anyone's shadow."

Her breath hitched at his words, her eyes searching his. "You've never said that before. Love."

He nodded, his gaze unwavering. "Because I wanted to be sure you understood how deeply I feel for you. I love you, Rosetta. I am committed to you, and I will do everything in my power to prove that to you every day."

Tears spilled over her cheeks as she whispered, "I love you too, Lucius. But I need more. I have my own dreams, and I want the promise of a long-term commitment and possibly children."

Lucius's expression changed, a shadow crossing his face. "Children? Rosetta, I'm too old for that. I already have a son. I don't want another child."

Her heart sank, the realization of their differing futures hitting her hard. "But I do, Lucius. I want a family, a real future with you. If you can't give me that, then what are we doing here?"

Lucius looked away, struggling with his emotions. "Rosetta, I care for you deeply, but I can't give you children. I thought you understood that."

She stepped back, her voice trembling. "I need more than just words, Lucius. I need a real commitment. I can't keep living like this, feeling like I'm just a temporary part of your life."