Chapter 79

Therapy Session with Dr. Vale

The room was bathed in the warm glow of the late afternoon sun filtering through the tall windows. The rich mahogany desk and bookshelves gave the space an air of authority, while the soft, comfortable chairs provided a stark contrast, inviting openness and vulnerability.

Rosetta sat in one of those chairs, her posture confident but her eyes betraying a flicker of uncertainty. Dr. Vale sat opposite her, his expression thoughtful and analytical.

"Good afternoon, Rosetta," Dr. Vale began, his voice calm and measured. "I wanted to discuss the recent situation you handled. How are you feeling about it?"

Rosetta crossed her legs, her chin lifting slightly. "I handled it well, Dr. Vale. Everything turned out as planned."

Dr. Vale leaned forward, his gaze intense. "Do you see it as a success, or do you perceive any weaknesses in how it unfolded?"

Rosetta's eyes narrowed slightly. "I don't see any weaknesses. I managed the situation effectively."

Dr. Vale nodded slowly, absorbing her response. "It's clear you possess a great deal of confidence, Rosetta. But I wonder, do you think your pride ever puts you in harm's way?"

Rosetta's jaw tightened. "I don't think so. Pride is what keeps me strong, what drives me to achieve my goals."

Dr. Vale's eyes didn't waver. "Yet, pride can also be a double-edged sword. It can lead us to take risks, to expose ourselves to unnecessary danger. Have you considered that your pride might sometimes blind you to the potential consequences of your actions?"

Rosetta's expression remained guarded. "I'm aware of the risks I take. But I don't believe my pride is a weakness. It's a necessary part of who I am."

Dr. Vale leaned back in his chair, his fingers steepled. "Let's explore this further. Do you think your pride influenced your decision to endure the recent ritual? Did it drive you to prove something to yourself or others?"

Rosetta's eyes flashed with a mix of defiance and introspection. "I endured because it was necessary. It wasn't just about pride. It was about our goals, our power."

Dr. Vale raised an eyebrow. "And yet, enduring such a ritual was a significant display of strength. Are you saying pride had no part in your determination to push through?"

Rosetta hesitated, her resolve faltering for a moment. "Perhaps... it played a part. But I still believe it was the right decision."

Dr. Vale's gaze softened slightly. "I'm not here to judge your decisions, Rosetta. I'm here to help you understand them. Sometimes, our strongest traits can also be our greatest vulnerabilities. It's important to recognize when pride might be leading us into situations that could be harmful."

Rosetta took a deep breath, her defenses momentarily lowered. "I understand, Dr. Vale. But I need my pride. It's what keeps me going."

Dr. Vale nodded. "Pride can be a powerful motivator, but it's crucial to balance it with self-awareness. Recognizing when it's driving you to take unnecessary risks can help you navigate these situations more effectively."

Rosetta's eyes flashed with a sudden intensity. "Do you truly understand what Lucius and I have, Dr. Vale? Do you think you can fully grasp the depth of our bond, our shared goals, and the lengths we go to protect what we've built?"

Dr. Vale met her gaze steadily. "I aim to understand, Rosetta. My role is to help you navigate the complexities of your relationship and your individual challenges. But I'm aware that some aspects of your bond may be beyond my full comprehension."