Chapter 14

A Call for Help

Lucius Malfoy sat alone in his study, the weight of his actions pressing down on him. Desperation clawed at his chest as he realized he had driven Rosetta away completely. In a moment of vulnerability, he reached for the only person he believed could understand him—his oldest friend, Severus Snape.

Severus had moved to Washington state in America after the war. He and his wife, Belladonna, lived in a secluded forest, far from the chaos of their past. They had built a life of peace and simplicity, raising their two-year-old son, Albus—affectionately called Albi—and anticipating the arrival of their second child, a daughter they had recently decided to name Minnie.

Lucius initiated the video call, feeling a pang of envy and regret as the screen connected. The Snape household came into view, a scene of domestic chaos and warmth. Albi toddled around, giggling as he chased a small enchanted toy, while Belladonna, heavily pregnant, sat at the kitchen table, sorting through baby clothes. The cabin they had built together was cozy and inviting, filled with the sound of laughter and love.

Severus appeared on the screen, his stern features softening as he recognized his old friend. "Lucius," he greeted, his voice steady but concerned. "It's been a long time."

"Severus," Lucius began, his voice heavy with emotion. "I... I need to talk to you."

Belladonna glanced over, sensing the gravity in Lucius's tone. She gave Severus a nod of encouragement as she continued to sort clothes, listening intently.

"What happened?" Severus asked, leaning closer to the screen.

Lucius took a deep breath, the words spilling out as he recounted everything. "I met someone, Severus. Her name is Rosetta. She was incredible—intelligent, independent, everything I ever wanted. But I ruined it. I became obsessed. I couldn't stand the thought of losing her."

He paused, looking down at his hands. "I started spying on her, tracking her movements. I even hired someone to break into her spellmail and find her new address after she moved. I invaded her privacy in the worst ways possible, and when she found out, she was terrified. She broke things off completely."

Severus sighed, his expression a mix of disappointment and understanding. "Lucius, that's... that's a lot. I can see why she would be scared. You crossed some serious lines."

Belladonna nodded, adding softly, "She probably felt trapped and unsafe. Trust is fragile, and once it's broken, it's incredibly hard to rebuild."

Lucius's shoulders slumped, the weight of their words pressing down on him. "I know," he admitted, his voice breaking. "I just... I didn't know what else to do. I was so afraid of losing her."

Severus leaned back, glancing at Belladonna before speaking again. "Fear is a powerful motivator, but it can lead us to do things we regret. You need to understand that love is about respect and trust, not control."

Belladonna chimed in, her tone kind but firm. "Lucius, you need to give her space and show her that you've changed. That means respecting her boundaries, no matter how difficult it is."

As Lucius absorbed their words, a small voice interrupted. "Mama, who's that?" Albi asked, climbing onto Belladonna's lap and peering curiously at the screen.

"This is an old friend of your father's, sweetie," she replied, stroking Albi's hair.

Lucius managed a small smile. "Hello, Albi."

The scene before him was a stark contrast to his own life—peaceful, loving, and filled with genuine connection. It was a reminder of what he had lost and what he needed to strive for.