Chapter 45

A Chess Match

In a small antechamber adjacent to the grand ballroom, Rosetta stood in front of a mirror, adjusting her dress and trying to steady her nerves. Mattheo Riddle stood beside her, his expression stern and focused.

"Rosetta, you need to project confidence and poise tonight," Mattheo instructed, his tone leaving no room for argument. "These people need to see you as a strong leader, someone who can handle pressure and command respect."

Rosetta nodded, taking a deep breath. "I understand, Mattheo. I'll do my best."

Mattheo's eyes narrowed slightly. "Your best isn't good enough tonight. You need to be perfect. No signs of hesitation, no faltering. And remember, always keep your responses concise and assertive."

As he spoke, Lucius stood a few feet away, watching the interaction with a clenched jaw. The sight of Rosetta relying on Mattheo for guidance gnawed at him, fueling the turmoil already brewing inside him. He forced himself to remain silent, knowing that any confrontation now would only make things worse.

Mattheo continued, his gaze never leaving Rosetta's. "When you're speaking to the donors, make sure to emphasize your commitment to the campaign and the Order. They need to believe that you are the future of our community."

Rosetta straightened her shoulders, meeting Mattheo's gaze with determination. "I won't let you down, Mattheo. I'll make sure they see my strength."

Lucius felt a pang of jealousy and anger but quickly masked it with a neutral expression. He stepped forward, placing a hand on Rosetta's shoulder. "We should go. The event is about to start."

Rosetta nodded, giving Mattheo a final glance before turning to leave with Lucius. As they walked into the grand ballroom, the tension between them was palpable, but they maintained their composed facades for the sake of the event.

The room was filled with influential figures, their conversations a low hum of anticipation. Rosetta smiled brightly, greeting guests and shaking hands, while Lucius maintained a stoic but supportive presence beside her.

"Good evening, everyone," Rosetta said, her voice steady. "Thank you for coming tonight. Your support means the world to me."

One of the donors, an older wizard named Alaric Thornwood, smiled warmly at her. "Rosetta, it's always a pleasure to support someone as dedicated and capable as you. How are you managing the campaign and your responsibilities at the Ministry?"

Rosetta's smile didn't waver. "It's challenging, but I have a fantastic team, and we're all committed to making a difference. I'm confident we can achieve great things together."

As the conversation continued, Blair Berkshire approached, her expression friendly but with a hint of something more. "Rosetta, darling," Blair said smoothly. "You're handling this beautifully. How are you and Lucius holding up? Campaigns can be so stressful on relationships."

Rosetta's smile tightened, but she kept her tone light. "We're managing, Blair. We've always been a strong team."

Blair's eyes gleamed with curiosity. "I'm sure you are. Just remember, it's important to prioritize your commitments. The Order, after all, demands a great deal of dedication."

Rosetta nodded, feeling the weight of Blair's words. "Of course, Blair. I'm fully committed."

Just then, Lorenzo Berkshire joined them, his gaze sharp. "Rosetta, I must say, your speeches have been impressive. But I hope you're not spreading yourself too thin. We wouldn't want you to burn out."

Rosetta forced a laugh. "Thank you for your concern, Lorenzo. I assure you, I'm balancing everything just fine."

As the evening wore on, Rosetta and Lucius moved through the crowd together, maintaining their composure and engaging in strategic conversations. They were acutely aware of each other's presence but kept their interactions professional, avoiding any acknowledgment of the chasm between them.