Chapter 40

Chess Match

As the days passed, they remained in the cabin, enjoying their unexpected retreat. They communicated with the outside world minimally, maintaining the illusion of their perfect honeymoon. Lucius kept a close eye on any messages or calls, ensuring they stayed ahead of the Berkshires.

One evening, while they were sitting by the fireplace, Lucius received a message from Lorenzo. It was filled with polite inquiries about their stay and a subtle hint of curiosity about their whereabouts.

"They're fishing for information," Lucius said, showing the message to Rosetta.

Rosetta frowned. "We can't let them know we've caught on. We'll respond, but keep it vague. Let them think we're oblivious."

Lucius nodded, crafting a careful reply. "We're having a wonderful time. The Maldives are beautiful, and we're enjoying the privacy."

After sending the message, they waited, watching for any signs of the Berkshires' next move. The tension between them began to ease, replaced by a shared determination to protect their privacy and future.

As the end of their supposed honeymoon approached, they prepared to return home, ready to face whatever awaited them. Lucius and Rosetta knew they had to confront the Berkshires eventually, but for now, they were united in their resolve to uncover the truth and protect their lives from further intrusion.

When they finally arrived back at the Manor, they found a message waiting for them from Blair, inviting them to dinner to discuss their future plans. Lucius and Rosetta exchanged a look, understanding that this meeting would be crucial.

"We need to be careful," Lucius said, his voice low. "We go in, listen, and gather information. We can't let them know we're onto them."

Rosetta leaned in, glancing around the room with a cautious look. "A walk?" she suggested, giving Lucius a knowing glance.

Lucius nodded, taking her hand and leading her out into the forest surrounding the Manor. The trees provided a natural barrier, giving them a sense of privacy that they desperately needed. Once they were deep enough into the woods, Rosetta turned to Lucius, her expression serious.

"What if our house has been put under surveillance as well?" she whispered. "Maybe we should find a temporary place to stay without telling the Berkshires. Let's see if they allude to knowing anything tonight at dinner. We can go back in and say we're going to find a hotel for the night, claiming we don't want the excitement to end."

Lucius considered her words carefully. "That's a smart move, Princess. It will help us gauge their reactions. If they know we're lying, then we'll have our answer."

They made their way back to the Manor, each step filled with a mix of determination and trepidation. Back inside, they settled into their roles, maintaining an air of normalcy despite the tension underlying their every move.

As the grand dining room doors opened at the Berkshires' opulent estate, Rosetta and Lucius were greeted by a butler who escorted them to the lavishly set dining table. Lorenzo and Blair stood up to welcome them, their faces adorned with warm smiles that didn't quite reach their eyes.

"Welcome, welcome! We're so glad you could join us," Blair said, her voice dripping with honeyed hospitality.

"Thank you for having us," Lucius replied, his voice steady, though his eyes held a hint of caution.

They settled into their seats, and the conversation flowed easily at first, touching on various mundane topics like the weather and recent events in the magical community. The sumptuous meal was served, and Rosetta found an opening as the main course was being cleared.