Chapter 65

Disloyalty of the Rook

After the intense display, Rosetta's heart was pounding with a mix of adrenaline and anger. She turned to Lucius, her eyes pleading for them to leave. "I want to go," she whispered, trying to keep her voice steady.

Lucius shook his head gently, his grip on her arm firm but reassuring. "We can't leave now Rosetta. We must stay and show them that we have the upper hand."

Rosetta swallowed hard, the weight of his words sinking in. She understood the necessity of maintaining their position, but the victory felt hollow. The sting of Mattheo's words still lingered, and the realization that her friend had tried to berate her in front of everyone was a bitter pill to swallow.

They mingled with the other members, exchanging polite conversation and accepting praise for their display. Rosetta forced a smile, her mind racing with thoughts of the confrontation. She could feel eyes on her, both admiring and scrutinizing, but she held her head high, refusing to let them see her pain.

Lucius stayed close by, his presence a steady anchor. He spoke with authority and confidence, reinforcing their dominance. Rosetta took solace in his strength, even as she struggled with her own emotions.

As the evening wore on, Rosetta found herself standing with Lucius in a quieter corner of the room. She leaned in, her voice barely above a whisper. "This doesn't feel like a victory, Lucius. It feels... hollow."

He looked down at her, his expression softening. "I know, my love. But we needed to show them our strength. We needed to remind them who we are."

She nodded, though the ache in her heart remained. "Mattheo's words... they hurt. I didn't expect him to say those things."

Lucius's eyes darkened with anger. "He was out of line. But you handled it with grace and power. You proved your strength."

Rosetta sighed, her shoulders slumping slightly. "It still feels wrong. He was my friend."

Lucius cupped her face in his hands, forcing her to look up at him. "You are stronger than you realize, Rosetta. You showed everyone here tonight that you are not to be underestimated. And as for Mattheo... he showed his true colors. You don't need people like him in your life."

Rosetta's eyes shimmered with unshed tears. "I can't work with him anymore, Lucius. No matter who insists upon it. He's not really on my team any longer. He doesn't respect me."

Lucius nodded, his expression serious. "I understand. We'll find a way to handle this. We'll make it clear to the Berkshires that Mattheo can no longer be part of your campaign."

Rosetta took a deep breath, steadying herself. "I won't let anyone undermine me like that again. If they can't respect my decisions and my boundaries, then they don't belong by my side."

Lucius squeezed her hands reassuringly. "We'll stand firm together. You have my full support."

As they rejoined the gathering, Lucius kept a protective arm around her. They continued to engage with the other members, showing a united front despite the turmoil beneath the surface. The Order members, while still buzzing with the energy of the night's events, took note of the Malfoys' strength and resolve.

Rosetta's mind was a whirl of emotions, but she drew strength from Lucius's presence and the power she had shown. She knew the road ahead would be challenging, but she was determined to navigate it with the dignity and strength that had carried her this far.

By the time they finally left, the whispers and glances had faded into the background. As they walked out of the grand hall, Rosetta felt a sense of closure. The confrontation with Mattheo had been a turning point, and she was ready to move forward without the shadow of doubt and betrayal hanging over her.