Chapter 86

The Sigil

The morning after her heated argument with Lucius, Rosetta woke up with a persistent, sharp pain on her back. It was a dull ache at first, but as the day progressed, it became unbearable. 

She excused herself from breakfast and hurried to the bathroom, locking the door behind her. With trembling hands, she lifted her shirt and gasped as she saw the intricate symbol of Astaroth glowing faintly on her skin.

Her mind raced with fear and confusion. She couldn't let Lucius see this mark, not when he was already so upset with her. Desperate for guidance, she grabbed her spellphone and sent a frantic message to Dr. Vale, asking if he could meet her immediately.

Within minutes, Dr. Vale responded, agreeing to meet her at his office. She quickly dressed and slipped out of the Manor, avoiding Lucius and the staff as she made her way to the rendezvous point.

When she arrived, Dr. Vale was waiting for her. His usually composed demeanor showed a hint of concern as he ushered her into his office.

"What's going on, Rosetta?" he asked, his voice gentle yet probing.

She hesitated for a moment before lifting her shirt to reveal the mark. "This appeared on my back this morning," she said, her voice shaking. "It's Astaroth's symbol. I don't know what it means, but it hurts, and I'm terrified."

Dr. Vale studied the mark intently, his expression darkening with disappointment. "This is a powerful symbol, Rosetta. It's a sign of your bond with Astaroth, but it also signifies a deeper level of control. You need to be very careful with this."

Rosetta nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. "You have to promise not to tell Lucius. He's already so upset with me, and I don't know how he'd react if he saw this."

Dr. Vale sighed, his gaze softening yet filled with disappointment. "Rosetta, you can't keep something like this from him forever. It will only make things worse in the long run. But I understand your need for time. I will keep your secret for now, but you need to think about how you're going to address this with Lucius."

She lowered her shirt, her mind still racing. "I don't know how to tell him, but I can't deal with this right now. He's too angry, and I'm scared of what this mark means."

Dr. Vale reached out, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Take it one step at a time. Focus on understanding what this mark means for you and your connection to Astaroth. And remember, I'm here to help you through this, no matter how difficult it gets."

Rosetta nodded, feeling a glimmer of hope amidst her fear. "Thank you, Dr. Vale. I don't know what I'd do without you."

He gave her a reassuring smile. "We'll get through this together, Rosetta. Just remember to be honest with yourself and with those who care about you. Secrets have a way of tearing us apart from the inside."

She left his office feeling a bit more grounded but still uncertain about the future. The mark on her back was a constant reminder of the path she had chosen, and she knew that eventually, she would have to face the consequences of her actions.

As she walked back to the Manor, Rosetta tried using a camouflaging spell on the mark, but it didn't work. Panic set in as she realized Lucius would see this as a betrayal, a sign that she no longer belonged solely to him. Dr. Vale's insistence that she tell Lucius made her feel cornered, interpreting his advice as wavering allegiance to her.

The anxiety gnawed at her until she couldn't take it anymore. That evening, she found Lucius in the study, his expression hardened and distant. She took a deep breath, steeling herself for what was to come.