Chapter 74

Bedtime after the Ritual

As the evening drew to a close, Lucius gently guided Rosetta to their bedroom. His touch was tender, his concern for her well-being evident in every gesture. He helped her onto the bed, ensuring she was comfortable before sitting beside her.

"Are you alright, my love?" he asked softly, his eyes searching hers for any sign of distress. "Do you need to talk about anything that happened tonight?"

Rosetta shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. "I'm perfectly fine, Lucius. Truly. It was intense, but I'm alright."

He brushed a strand of hair from her face, his fingers lingering against her cheek. "Are you sure? I need to know you're really okay. If anything's troubling you, I want you to tell me."

"I'm sure," she reassured him, placing her hand over his. "It was a lot, but I can handle it. I just need to rest now."

Lucius nodded, though his worry remained. "Did you see if Dr. Vale was there?" she asked, her voice soft and curious.

"I'm not sure," he replied honestly. "There were so many people, and everyone was masked. But it's not important right now. What matters is that you're safe and comfortable."

Rosetta nodded, feeling the exhaustion wash over her. She sank deeper into the pillows as Lucius lay beside her, wrapping his arms around her protectively. "I love you so much, Rosetta," he whispered, his voice filled with emotion. "Promise me you'll come to me if you start to feel bad about what happened. I need to know you're okay."

"I promise," she whispered back, nuzzling against his chest. "I love you too, Lucius. More than anything."

He held her close, his hand gently stroking her hair as he whispered soothing words. "You're my everything, Rosetta. I need you to be alright. Just remember, you can always talk to me. We'll get through anything together."

With a final, loving kiss to her forehead, Lucius continued to hold her as she drifted off to sleep, her body finally relaxing in the safety of his arms.

Dr. Vale's Insights

Dr. Vale entered his apartment in Florence, the echo of the evening's events still reverberating in his mind. The luxurious space, usually a sanctuary, now felt oddly oppressive. He poured himself a glass of whiskey, hoping the amber liquid would calm his racing thoughts.

As he sat in his leather armchair, he replayed the scene in his mind. Rosetta, bound and blindfolded, enduring unimaginable physical and psychological torment at the hands of Lucius. The vivid memory of her vomiting and urinating herself in front of the crowd, her body strung up like a spectacle, unsettled him deeply. He had witnessed many things in his career, but this was something entirely different.

He took a long sip of the whiskey, the burn in his throat grounding him momentarily. The power dynamic between Lucius and Rosetta had always intrigued him, but tonight he saw a darker side to their relationship.

It was not just the brutality of the acts but the sheer intensity of Rosetta's submission that disturbed him. He had always known her to be a strong, influential woman, yet seeing her reduced to such a state was jarring.

Dr. Vale's thoughts drifted to his own motivations. He had initially approached this with a clinical detachment, but now he felt something more personal.

Rosetta's plea for him to stay away from the Order resonated deeply within him. Yet, his curiosity and professional drive pushed him to understand the depths of their power and influence.

He stood up and walked to the window, looking out over the picturesque Florentine skyline. The city's beauty contrasted sharply with the dark undercurrents of the evening's events. Could he continue to observe and analyze without getting personally involved? Was the pursuit of knowledge worth the potential ethical compromises?