Chapter 48

Daniel's Threat Detailed

Rosetta was in the middle of a meeting with her campaign team when her phone buzzed. She glanced at the screen and saw an unknown number. Curious, she excused herself and stepped into a quieter corner of the office to answer the call.

"Hello, this is Rosetta."

"Rosetta, it's Daniel," the voice on the other end said, a hint of smugness in his tone.

Her heart skipped a beat. Daniel, her ex-boyfriend, whom she had hoped never to hear from again. "Daniel, what do you want?"

"Straight to the point, as always," he chuckled. "I have some... photographs of us. From when we were together. If you don't want them to become public, you'll pay me hush money."

Rosetta felt her blood run cold. "What? How did you—"

"It doesn't matter how I got them. What matters is how much they're worth to you," Daniel interrupted. "I expect a significant sum. Or everyone will see these photos."

Rosetta's mind raced. This could ruin her campaign, her marriage, everything. "How much do you want?"

"Let's say a million Galleons. I'll give you a few days to come up with the money. I'll contact you again with details on where to drop it off."

Mattheo's Reaction

Back in the meeting room, Mattheo noticed Rosetta's pale face as she returned. He immediately sensed something was wrong. His eyes narrowed, his instincts alert. He watched her for a moment, assessing her body language before deciding to follow her to her office.

"Rosetta," he said, his tone sharp with concern as he closed the door behind him. "What's going on?"

She took a deep breath, her hands trembling as she tried to explain. "Daniel Rookwood, my ex-boyfriend... He called me. He has photographs of us from when we were together. He wants a million Galleons or he'll release them."

Mattheo's expression darkened with each word. "Daniel Rookwood," he growled. "Is that so?"

A dark, scary fury simmered inside him, barely held in check. His eyes blazed with an intensity that made Rosetta take a step back. Without another word, Mattheo pulled out his spell phone and dialed Lucius.

"Lucius, it's Mattheo," he said, his voice cold and precise. "We have a situation. Daniel Rookwood is trying to blackmail Rosetta with old photographs. He wants a million Galleons, or he'll release them. Meet me at the campaign office. We need to handle this now."

He paused, listening to Lucius's response, his jaw clenched tightly. "Yes, we'll deal with it swiftly. I'll be back in a bit."

He ended the call and turned back to Rosetta, his expression softening slightly but the intensity in his eyes unwavering. "Stay here. I'll take care of this."

Mattheo wasted no time. He tracked down Daniel's location using his contacts within the Order and arrived at a dingy, secluded bar where Daniel was holed up. Bursting through the door, Mattheo found Daniel sitting at a table, nursing a drink.

"Daniel," Mattheo spat, his voice low and dangerous.

Daniel looked up, a smirk spreading across his face. "Well, well. If it isn't the loyal lapdog. Here to negotiate?"

"No," Mattheo said, his tone icy. "I'm here to make sure you never threaten Rosetta again."

Before Daniel could react, Mattheo grabbed him by the collar and slammed him against the wall. "You think you can blackmail her and walk away? Think again."