Chapter 88

Flashback with Lucius and Mattheo

The dimly lit study of Malfoy Manor was filled with an oppressive silence. Lucius Malfoy, standing by the fireplace, looked more somber than Mattheo had ever seen him. The firelight cast flickering shadows on his face, emphasizing the deep lines of worry etched into his features. Mattheo could feel the weight of something significant looming over them.

Lucius gestured for Mattheo to sit in one of the plush leather chairs. "Thank you for coming on such short notice, Mattheo," Lucius began, his voice unusually soft.

Mattheo sat down, his curiosity piqued but masked by his usual composed demeanor. "Of course, Lucius. What is it that's so urgent?"

Lucius took a deep breath, his eyes locking onto Mattheo's with an intensity that made the younger man uneasy. "This isn't easy for me to say, but you need to know the truth about Rosetta."

The mention of her name made Mattheo's heart skip a beat. He leaned forward slightly, a sense of dread creeping into his gut. "What about her? Is she in danger?"

Lucius shook his head, but his expression remained grave. "No, it's not that. It's... what she went through. The lengths she went to escape her pain. After everything she endured, she made a decision that has significant repercussions."

Mattheo frowned, confusion and concern mingling on his face. "What are you talking about, Lucius?"

Lucius moved to a small side table and poured two glasses of firewhisky, handing one to Mattheo before taking a seat opposite him. He took a sip, seemingly to steel himself for what he was about to say. "Rosetta... she was willing to risk everything to rid herself of the pain. She used dark and dangerous means, methods that could have cost her life."

Mattheo's grip tightened around his glass, his knuckles whitening. "Why didn't she tell me? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

Lucius looked away, guilt and regret flashing in his eyes. "She didn't want anyone to know, especially you. She felt that admitting her desperation would make her seem weak in your eyes."

Mattheo felt a pang of heartbreak. He had always known Rosetta to be strong, resilient, but hearing this made him realize just how much she had been hiding. "But why? I could have helped her, supported her."

Lucius sighed heavily, setting his glass down. "There's more, Mattheo. In her state of vulnerability, she made a demand... one that affects you directly."

Mattheo's eyes narrowed, the sense of foreboding growing stronger. "What demand?"

Lucius met his gaze directly, his voice barely above a whisper. "She made it clear that if she were to survive this ordeal, you could never be part of our inner circle again. She felt that your presence, your connection, was too much of a reminder of her suffering."

The words hit Mattheo like a physical blow. He felt the air rush out of his lungs, his heart shattering into pieces. Betrayal, anger, and profound sadness surged through him. "She... she wants me gone?" His voice trembled, unable to hide the raw emotion.

Lucius nodded slowly. "She believes it's the only way she can fully recover. She needs distance, Mattheo. It's not that she hates you, but that your closeness is too painful a reminder of what she went through."

Mattheo looked down at his hands, struggling to process the magnitude of what Lucius had just revealed. The woman he had loved, the woman he had wanted to protect, was now pushing him away. The sense of betrayal was overwhelming, but intertwined with it was an understanding of her pain and desperation.