Chapter 60

After the Election

The sun was just beginning to rise over Malfoy Manor, casting a soft glow through the curtains of the master bedroom. Rosetta lay in bed, trying to savor a few moments of peace after the whirlwind of the election. But her rest was abruptly interrupted by the ringing of her spellphone on the bedside table.

She groggily reached for it, seeing Blair's name on the screen. With a sigh, she answered the call. "Blair, it's early. What is it?"

Blair's voice was brisk and unyielding. "Rosetta, you need to do a press conference today. And I want to make it clear that Mattheo isn't going anywhere. You need him."

Rosetta's eyes widened in disbelief, her sleepiness quickly replaced by irritation. "Blair, I just won the election. Can't we discuss this later?"

Blair's tone was sharp and unyielding. "No, Rosetta. This is important. I need you to understand that we are still the ones in charge here. Mattheo has been crucial to your success, and you need to put your personal drama aside for the betterment of the Order."

Rosetta's anger flared, her voice rising. "Blair, the election is over. I will handle things from here. I don't need you dictating how I run my position or my life."

Blair's response was icy, her authority clear. "The election might be over, but political warfare never is. You think you can just step away from us? Think again. You need Mattheo, and you need to remember who helped you get here."

Rosetta's grip on the phone tightened, her frustration boiling over. "You don't get to control me, Blair! This is my life, my decisions!"

Blair's voice was a cold, sharp edge. "You're making a huge mistake if you think you can do this without us. Mattheo stays. You need to think about what's best for your career and the Order."

Rosetta's fury reached its peak. "You don't understand anything, Blair! This is my life, and I won't be manipulated by you or anyone else!"

In a fit of rage, Rosetta hurled the spellphone across the room, watching as it shattered against the wall. The sudden silence was deafening, her anger still simmering just below the surface.

Lucius, awakened by the commotion, sat up and looked at her with concern. "Rosetta, what happened?"

She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "Blair called. She's insisting I do a press conference and keep Mattheo close. She said they're still in charge and that political warfare is never over. She doesn't understand the pressure I'm under or the decisions I have to make."

Lucius reached out, trying to soothe her. "Rosetta, it's okay. We can work through this together. Let's not let Blair get to us."

But Rosetta wasn't having any of it. "No, Lucius! It's not okay. I'm tired of them controlling everything. I'm tired of you always bending to their will without fighting back!"

Lucius's face tightened, his patience wearing thin. "Rosetta, calm down. We need to think this through rationally."

Her anger flared even hotter. "Calm down? You want me to calm down while they dictate every aspect of my life? You always kowtow to them, Lucius. It's fucking pathetic!"

The insult hit him hard, his eyes narrowing. "You think I enjoy this? You think I want you working with Mattheo, knowing he's in love with you?"

Rosetta glared at him, her frustration boiling over. "Then fight it, Lucius! Fight it like a man instead of just rolling over and accepting it!"

Lucius's face flushed with anger, but before he could respond, Rosetta stormed out of the room, slamming the door in his face. The sound echoed through the manor, a physical manifestation of the rift between them.