Chapter 47

Arrival Home: Tension with Lucius

As Rosetta walked into Malfoy Manor, shopping bags in hand, she found Lucius waiting for her in the foyer. His expression was tight, a mix of frustration and concern etched across his features.

"What are you so happy about?" he asked, his voice carrying a slight edge.

Rosetta paused, taking a deep breath to steady herself. "I had a nice day, Lucius. Is that a crime?"

Lucius's eyes narrowed, and he crossed his arms over his chest. "Given everything that's happened, it feels a bit out of place, don't you think?"

She set down her bags, her earlier sense of ease quickly evaporating. "Lucius, I needed a break. I needed something normal, something to distract me from everything. Can't you understand that?"

He sighed, his frustration evident. "I do understand, Rosetta. But it's hard to see you smiling when we're dealing with so much right now."

Rosetta's shoulders sagged, the weight of their unresolved issues pressing down on her once more. "I know things are difficult, Lucius. But we can't let this consume us. We need to find moments of relief, of normalcy, or we'll drown in it all."

Lucius looked at her, the anger in his eyes softening slightly. "I just... I worry, Rosetta. I worry about you, about us."

She stepped closer, reaching out to touch his arm. "I worry too, Lucius. But today, I needed to feel like myself again, even if it was just for a little while."

He uncrossed his arms, his expression conflicted. "And Mattheo? Did he make you feel like yourself again?"

Rosetta looked away, the tension between them palpable. "Mattheo was... surprisingly supportive. He took care of me when I got sick, he made sure I was okay."

Lucius's jaw tightened. "I should have been the one taking care of you."

She sighed, her voice softening. "Maybe. But right now, we're both trying to figure out how to navigate this mess. We need to give each other some grace. You can be angry for a few days and I can be a passive aggressive little bitch. Ok? Nothing has to be fixed today."

Lucius looked at her, a small, wry smile tugging at the corner of his mouth despite the tension. "I suppose that's fair. But we both need to try to understand where the other is coming from."

Rosetta nodded, feeling a bit of the weight lift from her shoulders. "Agreed. It's going to take time, Lucius. We can't expect everything to be perfect right away."

He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "I know. It's just hard, seeing you so upset and knowing I'm part of the reason."

She reached out, taking his hand in hers. "We're both part of this, Lucius. And we'll get through it together. But for now, let's just take it one day at a time."

He squeezed her hand gently, a flicker of hope in his eyes. "I can do that."

Rosetta smiled, a genuine smile this time. "Good. Now, let's try to have a peaceful evening. No more arguments for today, alright?"

Lucius nodded, a hint of relief in his expression. "Alright. I'll try my best."

They moved to the living room, settling down on the sofa together. The silence between them was no longer heavy with tension but filled with a tentative understanding. They both knew there were still many issues to address, but for now, they had agreed to give each other space and grace.

As they sat there, side by side, Rosetta leaned her head on Lucius's shoulder, feeling a small sense of comfort. It wasn't a perfect resolution, but it was a start. And sometimes, that was enough.