Chapter 72

Meeting with the Queen

Dr. Vale left the Berkshire estate, his mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts and emotions. The therapy session with the Berkshires had been revealing, confirming many of his suspicions about their manipulative nature and their deep involvement in Rosetta and Lucius's lives. The more he delved into the Order and its enigmatic deity, Astaroth, the more he felt drawn into a world that was as intoxicating as it was dangerous.

As he drove back to his office, he grappled with the decision before him. Attending an Order meeting would undoubtedly provide him with unparalleled insights into the dynamics of power and influence that fascinated him so deeply. But it would also mean crossing a line, potentially jeopardizing his professional relationship with Rosetta and exposing himself to forces he barely understood.

By the time he reached his office, he had made up his mind. He needed more information, but he couldn't rush into this blindly. He decided to contact Rosetta and request a private meeting, away from the confines of his office and the watchful eyes of the Order.

A few days later, they met for lunch at an upscale restaurant in the city. Rosetta arrived first, looking poised and elegant, though there was a hint of wariness in her eyes. When Dr. Vale joined her, he sensed her unease and chose his words carefully.

"Rosetta," he began, after they had exchanged pleasantries and ordered their meals. "I wanted to speak with you about something important. During my session with the Berkshires, I came to a realization about who they are and the extent of their influence."

Rosetta's eyes widened slightly, and she leaned in, her voice dropping to a hushed tone. "What do you mean, Dr. Vale? What exactly did you realize?"

He met her gaze steadily. "I believe they are the Bishops you mentioned before. Their reach and power are evident, and it's clear they have a vested interest in your and Lucius's lives. I understand now why you were hesitant to divulge more about them."

Rosetta's expression turned serious, and she glanced around the restaurant as if ensuring they weren't being overheard. "You need to stay away from them, Dr. Vale. If you've come to that realization, you understand the danger they pose. They are not to be underestimated."

Dr. Vale nodded, his own unease mirrored in her words. "I appreciate your concern, Rosetta. But I also believe that understanding them better could provide valuable insights into the dynamics at play. However, I need to know if this is worth pursuing. Will attending a meeting give me the answers I'm looking for, or will it only complicate things further?"

Rosetta's face softened, her eyes reflecting a mixture of urgency and sadness. "Dr. Vale, if you attend a meeting, I will not be able to continue seeing you as a client. It will make things too cloudy, too complicated. I need someone on the outside who can provide assistance without being brought into the fray. Your perspective is invaluable to me because you're not entangled in their web."

She leaned forward, her voice pleading. "Please, I ask you candidly not to get involved, no matter how curious you are. I would take it all back if I could. This path is dangerous, and once you're in, there's no turning back. They consume everything, and I don't want you to lose yourself to them."

Dr. Vale felt a deep conflict within him. His professional curiosity was piqued, but Rosetta's sincerity and the fear in her eyes made him hesitate. "I understand your concerns, Rosetta. Your safety and well-being are my priorities. I will think carefully about my next steps."

Rosetta reached across the table, placing her hand over his. "Promise me, Gideon. Promise me you won't go any further down this path. We need you to stay who you are, untainted by their influence."