Chapter 29

The Following Morning

The next morning, the atmosphere at the breakfast table was tense and heavy. Lucius and Rosetta sat in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Rosetta absentmindedly spread cream cheese on her cinnamon raisin bagel, staring into the distance, her mind replaying the events of the previous night.

Lucius, sensing her turmoil, reached out to touch her hand. "Rosetta, we need to talk about last night."

She looked up at him, her eyes filled with a mixture of anger and confusion. "You wanted her," she said, her voice trembling with emotion. "I saw it in your eyes."

Lucius sighed, his grip on her hand tightening slightly. "It wasn't just me, Princess. We were both under some sort of spell. Those potions... they did something to us. Made us feel things we wouldn't normally feel."

Rosetta's expression softened, but the hurt was still evident in her eyes. "I know, Lucius. But it felt so real. And I... I don't like that feeling."

He nodded, his own thoughts mirroring her unease. "Neither do I, Rosetta. We need to be more careful. We can't let our guard down like that again."

As they sat in silence, the sound of a notification broke the tension. Lucius picked up his scrollphone, opening the email that had just arrived. It was from Blair.

"Blair is checking on us," he said, his eyes scanning the message. "She says that Lorenzo wants me to spend the day with some of his influential friends. Networking opportunities, she calls it."

Rosetta's heart skipped a beat, her anxiety spiking. "And what about me?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Lucius continued reading. "She suggests a girls' day out for you and her. To relax, unwind."

Rosetta's eyes widened with apprehension. "I don't know, Lucius. After last night... I'm not sure I'm ready for more time with them."

Lucius looked at her, his expression thoughtful. "I understand, Princess. But this could be an important opportunity. Networking with powerful people could be beneficial for us. And Blair... she might be able to give you some insights, help you understand more about this world we're stepping into."

Rosetta bit her lip, her mind racing. "I don't know, Lucius. It feels... risky."

He nodded, understanding her hesitation. "It is. But we don't have to make a decision right now. Let's think about it, weigh the pros and cons."

She sighed, taking a bite of her bagel to buy herself some time. "Alright. But promise me, if at any point it feels wrong, we leave. No questions asked."

Lucius squeezed her hand reassuringly. "I promise, Rosetta. We will always put our safety and well-being first."

They sat in silence for a few more moments, each lost in their own thoughts. The weight of the previous night's events still lingered, but the promise of moving forward together offered a glimmer of hope.

Rosetta finally broke the silence. "Lucius, if you think this is important for us, then go ahead. Spend the day with Lorenzo and his friends. I'll stay at the manor and work in my office. I have a lot to catch up on."

Lucius looked at her, his eyes filled with concern. "Are you sure, Rosetta? I don't want you to feel pressured by my going."

She nodded, offering him a small smile. "I'm sure. We both have our roles to play in this. Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I will," Lucius replied, his voice firm. "I'll keep my guard up and make sure nothing gets out of hand."

With a sense of resolve, Lucius opened his scrollphone and typed a reply to Blair's email. He hesitated for a moment before hitting send, glancing at Rosetta for reassurance. She nodded, and he pressed the button.