Honesty's the best Policy

In the morning, after about an hour of sleep total, I decided to go get breakfast. I had school today, so it was about 5:30 when I went down. I made myself a peanut butter sandwich and sat down in the dimly lit room. I was eating quietly when suddenly I heard shuffling in the room over. My heart raced and I thought only of the Conjuring and wondered if our house was haunted. I looked around and saw nothing tough so I grabbed my butter knife and walked into the other room quietly. I looked through the darkness and saw a giant figure looming over me. I screamed and aimed my knife towards them and stabbed. Just before I reached the target, I felt a strong hand grab my wrist tightly.

"Kota, Baby, calm down!" I heard Dylan say.

My heart rate slowed, and I slumped down, finally relaxed. "Thank God its just you!" I said, shocked. He nodded and sat back down, looking at his phone. I sat down besides him.

Then I noticed something. He didn't tease me at all, for being up this early because I was scared, for holding a butter knife in defense, or for thinking he was a ghost. Something was wrong.

"Whats wrong?" I asked.

He sighed and said "I'm not really sure myself."

"Well what do you know?" I asked.

"You probably don't wanna talk about it with me." he said, looking away.

Ah. So it was Taylor related. "You can talk with me. " I awkwardly allowed.

"Thanks." he said, patting my shoulder and then pausing for a little while. "Well, for this year, she transferred to our school so she could go to school with me." he began, as I nodded in encouragement. "Thats good." I said, painfully. "Well it was," he said. "But now, It's just... she's mad at me. And I don't know why." he admitted, looking away.

"Oh." I said, biting my lip. "Well-" Then I was interrupted by Blake walking down the stairs. Dylan cut me off with wide eyes and I stopped speaking about it. We then both greeted Blake and walked upstairs to get ready.

After we got to school and stopped the car, Dylan say Taylor from across the grass area. He waved and then we saw her look mad and scurry away. I avoided her gaze. This might be an awkward day. English passed without incident but in math something was wrong. Dylan still was moody and barely talked to anyone, even his usual bimbos. 

My other classes passed without incident, and I was thankful to have Taylor in none of my classes. Then, disaster struck. 

At lunch, I  accidentally ran into Taylor.  Literally. 

I was walking outside to my usual spot when we crashed into each other. I fell to the ground, and attempted to pick up my stuff, apologizing. Then I looked up and saw her eyes. "Taylor!" I said, shocked. She looked up and her mouth dropped open. 

"Dakota, is that you?" she said. "I'm so glad to see a familiar face! And you haven't changed at all!" she added, as she picked up her stuff and  put it away. I nodded, and there was an awkward pause. Then I said "Well, I should be going!"

"Oh, no, wait!" Taylor said. She pulled me to the side of the doors and led me to the corner. Then she looked at me seriously. "Dakota, I just want to thank you so much for what you did for me!"

 "Yeah, well-" I said, trying to break from her grip. "No, seriously!" she said. "I owe you. Just, I mean, it must have been hard to admit about your brother and all, but I am so glad that you did." I nodded with a tight smile. She then said "And you know, I didn't even talk to Dylan about it. Just told him we were through. But I think seeing you has given me enough closure. I will talk to him, and end it the right way. Thank you for being honest with me, though!" She hugged me again and let me go back to where I was going.

The rest of the day was alright but whenever I saw Dylan or Taylor, I got this tight, clenching feeling in the pit of my stomach. I think some called it guilt. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - - -- 

Hey guys, sorry for the short chapter but trust me it will come back later. Also, Thanks for the votes and messages!