Chemistry

The few hours of lunch and classes passed quickly, until it was my last class of the day. I went to Science a little late because my other classroom was entirely across campus. I burst in the door just as the bell rang, panting heavily. My teacher pointed to a seat in the back and I scurried over quickly under his glare. I looked where he pointed and saw a lab table in the corner, by a window. I walked over to see none other than Chris sitting in one of the two seats. 

He was looking down, doodling on a piece of paper with the pencil I lent him. 

I sat down and he looked up. 

"Dakota!" he said, his eyes lighting as they fell on me. 

"Hey." I said, awkwardly sitting on the lab table stool. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked. 

"Learning Biology." he said, as if I was stupid.

"Yes." I answered slowly. "But you're a senior, this class is for freshman." 

"Welp," he said, popping the P, "I may or may not have failed second semester freshman year and now have to redo it." 

I laughed but stopped when Mr. Kaplan turned to us. 

 "Nice." he whispered to me. 

I rolled my eyes but when I turned to grab my notebook from my backpack I noticed his doodles. I pulled the paper away from him and stared at this amazing doodle that looked like the paper was broken in half by an earthquake. 

"Whoa! Chris this is awesome!" I said, looking at each distinct mark of shading done in pencil.

He pulled it back slowly and scratched his neck.

"Oh it's no big deal. Just bored."

"It's amazing! Seriously!" I said. 

He shrugged. Wow. Away from Dylan he was actually sorta sweet. I spent the class period watching the teacher and glancing every so often at Chris's doodles. At the end of class, I put all my stuff away and began walking out until I almost fell backwards. I looked at the hand that was tugging me back and holding my backpack. 

"Whatcha doin there Chris?" I asked.

He said "Wait for me. We're going to the same place right."

"We are?" I asked. 

"You're going to meet Dylan right?" he said slowly, nodding. He thought I was stupid again, great.

"Yes. Are you?"

"Oh, he didn't tell you! Yeah, he invited me to come hang out after school."

"Oh, cool." I said, as we walked out of the room. 

I talked to him for a little about the homework we had to do tonight for math and biology.

After a little we finally reached the flagpole. 

Dylan looked at Talen, Nick, and I and said "Alright, do I have all my precious siblings here with me? Then let's go!" 

He and Chris walked in front of us and Talen and Nick were behind me, discussing their new classes and teachers.  Then Dylan said "Kota, come walk in front of us."

"Why?" 

"So I can keep a close eye on you. You're a troublemaker. And cause I'm in charge and you have to do what I say." Dylan said as Chris laughed.

"Umm... you have to have a good reason." I pointed out. 

Dylan answered with a smile. "Actually, you don't. When a person is in charge it means you have to do whatever they say, even if they have no reason at all."