My name is Mackenzie, but you can call me Mac

CHAPTER 2 

    Mackenzie's POV   

    Hi. My name is Mackenzie. But everyone calls be Mac. I'm five years old. I can count to a hundred, write my name, and I know my ABC's. Not many kids can do that where I live. I live in a place for kids who have no parents. I can't remember the name but I think it starts with an O and is reaaallly long. Mrs. White takes care of me and the other girls here. This is my two-four-eight day here. I count because I want to remember the day a nice lady and a nice man comes and gets me to take me out. I've seen all of the cute and pretty girls come and within a months they're gone. I get looked at too, but no one likes me. I'm quiet. I don't speak since I came here. Not since the first day daddy told me to close my eyes. When I opened them, mommy was gone and the house smelled like the stuff in a blue bottle. I think it's bleach. That's what mommy says. My mommy was really nice. I don't know why she left. She didn't take her car. Daddy said she just walked out of the house. He said she didn't love me. And that that he's the only one who will ever love me. Everyone else is just lying. I wasn't allowed to tell anyone about mommy leaving. Daddy said if I ever did. That I would leave too. I don't know what that means. But it sure scared me. One day daddy came home with a bottle of nasty smelling stuff in his hand. He sat on our couch and drank the whole bottle. Then he came up to my room. I hid under my bed, but he pulled me out. He told me to close my eyes. So I did. I always do what Daddy says. No matter how much it hurts. 

      My door opened. I opened my eyes. It was Mrs.White. 

"Mackenzie, There is a very nice lady coming to see you tomorrow. She wants to adopt someone. I know this happens alot but I have a good feeling about her." I nodded and did my best to smile at her. I liked Mrs.White. I really did, but I couldn't speak to her. I didn't trust anyone after what Daddy did.