First Night

CHAPTER 9

     Mac's POV   

   I laid in the big bed and tried to put my mind to rest. Demi had carried me to my room and tucked me in just like my mommy used to do. But this was the part I was dreading. When I was alone and dreaming. My nightmares always visited me. There was a time when I had first been dropped off at the orphanage that I had woken up screaming. But i wouldn't talk about it. I didn't sleep for days until I passed out from exhaustion out of fear of hearing the voices. 

    ***Dream***  

I heard the car pull into the driveway. Daddy was home. I scrambled to my window as fast as my chubby three year old legs could go. My mommy wasn't home yet. She always came home after my daddy came home. Then she would give me a bath and see what decorations daddy had given to me. Sometimes they hurt a lot. They were big and purple and black. When he opened the door I could tell he was drunk. That's what mommy calls it. She says were going to get away one day. But I don't know when. My door opened. I wondered what game were going to play today. "Hey sweetcheeks" He slurred. "H-Hi Daddy" A slap echoed across the room and my skin burned. "Speak clearer.... Tonight were going to play a new game. Daddy took off his shirt. I started backing away. "Hey this game is for big girls. Me and mommy play it all the time. I think you can handle it. He started towards me. Backing me into a wall before pressing his scruffy lips against mine...." 

*** End Dream***  

I woke up sweating. With tears running down my face. I could still feel his hands on me. Then, a feeling of cold fear ran through me. My daddy was coming to get me, I knew it. I needed Demi right now. Crawling out of my room, I ran to Demi's room down the hall. The door was open and Demi was curled up on one side of the bed. I tried to be quiet by tip-toeing but i ended up knocking over a stack of books. Demi sat upright. "Whaa-?" She sleepily said. Then she focused on me and my tear-stained face. " Mac what happened babygirl?" I bit my lip. "Did you have a bad dream?" I sniffled, then nodded. "Come here, you can sleep with me tonight." I clambered up into the bed which was even bigger than two of mine. Demi pulled me into a tight warm hug. Hugs that mommies give. "No one's going to hurt you while i'm here baby okay? I'll always protect you." I nodded again and snuggled up nuzzling my face into her neck. With Demi here, I could feel safe, No one would get me.