Your fault!

CHAPTER 77

Demi's POV 

"We have something to tell you."

             My words hung in the air, everyone was waiting. I nudged Maddie, but she let out a squeak. I looked over, she was petrified. I sighed, then took a deep breath. "Maddie. Roll up your sleeves." Before Maddie could move, my mom's hand jumped to her mouth, and tears filled her eyes. Maddie froze, horrified at our mother's reaction. I nudged my mom's leg with my foot under the table. She immediately pulled her hand away and composed herself. I nodded to Maddie, She took a shuddering breath and slowly rolled up her sleeves, revealing her wrists. My mom closed her eyes, Dallas turned into Rob, and started crying, but Eddie stared at Maddie's arms. His face was expressionless, but tears were running down his face. The last time I'd seen Eddie cry was when I came to him with this exact issue. It was at this table, October of last year. I cleared my throat, but Eddie spoke first, "Why?" Maddie didn't look up, but shrugged. Eddie put his head in his hands and rubbed his face. Then, my mom broke. 

                A loud sob bubbled up from her and she got up from her chair, still staring at Maddie's arms. "I-I'm sorry." She choked out and shoved away from the table, walking quickly into the next room, Maddie started crying even harder. I got up and went after her, following her silently to the west wing of the house, where we would be out of earshot from the others. Once there, she collapsed onto the couch sobbing. I sat next to her and pulled her into me, allowing her to cry onto my shoulder. "My babygirl Demi. My babygirl is hurting herself." She moaned, "What did I do wrong?" I shook my head and spoke almost angrily, "It's not your fault mom. You couldn't have done anything to prevent this. Remember what you told me?" My mom sniffled, then nodded. "God's plan." She said in a tiny voice. I nodded, "Exactly. It's God's plan for her. And it's gonna be okay." My mom tried to smile, then her face fell. "How bad is it? And don't you dare lie to me Demetria." At her use of my full name I knew how serious she was. I sighed, "It's bad mom, real bad." She took another shaky breath, "And... her eating?" I full silent. How am I supposed ot tell my mother that her youngest daughter is starving herself? Apparently, I didn't have to. My silence said it all. "No. No no no no no. Please. Please. God no." My mom muttered, I rubbed her back, "She's gonna be okay mom, she's a fighter. She can do this." My mom took her head out of her hands and looked at me through red eyes. "What are we supposed to do now?" I sighed, "Well since she's still in school, we should put her in therapy for a couple of months. And if she doesn't show progress, then treatment in the summer. It's the only choice we have." My mo nodded, and finally calmed down. "We should go back." I nodded, and helped her up. 

            We walked into the dining room where my family still sat, frozen, like we hadn't even left. As we entered, Eddie looked up, but Maddie stared off blankly. We sat back in our seats, I nudged Maddie, who seemed to snap out of it. I turned back to the table and decided to speak, "So.. Obviously something has to be done about this...." Eddie shifted in his chair, "You're hiding something. What else is wrong?" I cursed in my head, Eddie was always able to tell when I was hiding something since I got out of treatment. I really suck at lying now. He could read me so well. I sighed and looked at Maddie, she met my gaze... then nodded. "Maddie.. has... Maddie has an eating disorder." 

             Dallas began to cry again, and Eddie slumped in his chair, rubbing his face. then, he sighed, "So, what now?" Maddie looked up, frightened. I gave my partial solution, "Therapy." Maddie shook her head, "No. I'm fine. I'm not crazy." I sighed, "Maddie, nothing's wrong with therapy. Going to get help doesn't mean you're crazy." I said gently, "Therapy will-" "I DON'T CARE. I'M NOT CRAZY. YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S FUCKED UP. NOT ME." Maddie stood up and yelled. Ouch, her comment stung. Eddie's facial expression turned angry. "Madison! Don't talk to your sister like that!" I shook my head, "No. Let it out Maddie. You think I'm fucked up?" Maddie's anger intensified. "NO! YOU'RE THE PERFECT CHILD. WHO EVERYONE LOVES. AND HAS THE AMAZING STORY WITH THE AMAZING VOICE. AMERICA'S FUCKING SWEETHEART. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT ME, OR LIKES ME. I'M THE FAT ONE FROM DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, AND THAT'S ALL I'LL EVER BE KNOWN FOR. YOU KNOW WHY I DIDN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING? BECAUSE YOU'RE THE REASON I DO IT." She screamed in my face, I was in shock for a second, feeling tears brimming my eyes. I couldn't believe that's how she really felt. "Well if that's how you feel.." I said lamely. Maddie turned on her heel and stomped to the stairs, just before she reached them she turned back to me. "That's exactly how I feel." She hissed, and ran up the stairs. A few seconds later, her door slammed, and my heart shattered.