And whats your name?

CHAPTER 3  

      Demi's POV   

    As I made the long drive down to the adoption center my nerves were sky high. I had told the caretaker Mrs. White, that I wanted a little girl between three and six. There was about 10 girls that fit the description so she had set up a meeting. I pulled into the lot of the big house. It looked nice, a little rough around the edges but what could I expect? I got out of the car and looked up, noticing a small girl sitting in the window. Once she saw that I spotted her, she disappeared. I knocked on the door. It was immediately opened and I was faced with a woman around the age of 50, she smiled at me warmly. 

"You must be Ms. Lovato, I'm Mrs. White but you can call me Debbie. Please, come in." 

As I crossed the threshold Mrs. White called into the depths of the house.

 "Girls, Ms. Lovato is here!" 

I ran a nervous hand through my caramel colored hair as I heard the stampede of footsteps coming down the stairs. I couldn't help but count them. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Where's number 10? Mrs. White seemed to have realized that too. 

"Oh shoot. That'll be Mac." 

She bustled up the stairs and disappeared. A shy girl who looked to be one the oldest was pushed foward by the others. 

"H-Hi, my name is Kiara." 

I smiled and squatted down. "Hi! Im Demi. It's nice to meet you!" 

She was roughly pushed aside by another girl. A thumbsucker by the looks of it. "MY name is Deena." She said boldly. 

I smiled at her. "It's nice to meet you!" 

I was interrupted by Mrs. White coming down the stairs carrying a girl looking about four or five year old. I immediately stood up. The little girl was hiding her face but already I could tell that she was perfect for me. Her dark brown hair hung in beautiful loose curls down her back. She was tiny. And looked really young. Mrs. White put her down and she stood there looking at the floor. 

"Sorry about that, she's a bit shy." 

"I'M not shy!" Deena said loudly and came into my field of view hugging me around the waist. Mrs. White shifted to pull her away. 

I walked towards the girl, kneeling down so we were almost eye level, I lifted her chin with my hand. Her eyes met mine. She stared up at me. Perfect brown orbs that were so deep. It was like they belonged on the wisest person on the earth. Not a four year old girl. 

"And what's your name sweetie?" I said softly. She didn't say anything. Mrs. White stepped foward but Deena pushed her way to me. 

"She doesn't speak, She's a freak" She loudly whispered in my ear. 

I looked at the little girl and she bit her lip, like she was trying not to cry. I stood up and looked at Mrs. White. "It looks like we have some discussing to do." 

The woman smiled and said, "My office is down this hallway"