Chapter 11

Maya's POV

The hot water falling from the shower head soothes my skin as I step into the shower. I water is steadily flowing and I turn and shut my eyes as I let the water spray at my face and down my body, relaxing all of my muscles.

(Flashback to a couple of months ago)

Cory has gathered up the whole gang for some sort of scheme. All we were told was picnic, game night, and be in Philly by 2:30 pm. He called everyone Amy, Alan, Eric, Jo (Eric's wife), Nick and Haley (their two kids), Morgan, Jesse (Morgan's husband), Taylor, James, and Nathan (their three kids), Josh, Riley, Auggie, Ava, Maya, Lucas, Farkle, Smackle, Zay, Jack, Rachel, Shawn, Katy, Feeny, Laila (his wife), and even Angela. 

Nobody, not even Topanga knew what he had planned (which makes sense now). Cory was a strange goose sometimes, but he was a good husband, father, son, brother, and friend. I loved that about him.

When we all got to the park around the corner from Amy and Alan's house, we started off with sandwiches. Everyone made their own in a buffet-style line of cold-cuts complete with condiments and all. 

Sandwiches are my favorite and I hadn't eaten breakfast that morning, so I scarfed my sandwich. Josh came to sit down at the table with my friends, a group in which he used to be a member of before he moved away. As I finished my sandwich, Josh pointed to my face indicating that I had a little mayonnaise  on the corner of my lip. 

How. Fucking. Embarrassing. 

I wiped my lip with the napkin he stretched to give to me as my cheeks began to burn with the color red. That was pretty much the extend of our interaction for the day until the actual proposal.

He would barely look at me all day. He caught up with all of our friends that he hadn't seen in a while but never once asked me about my life.

I needed a break from being around Josh, so I walked over to the playground area where all of the little kids were hanging out. 

"Hey Maya, can you hewlp us build this?" Nick asked with his lisp.

Nick

So, Nick, Haley, Taylor, James, and Nathan were all playing in the sandbox, and I sat there with them. We tried to build a few sandcastles, but they were mostly unsuccessful because the sand wasn't wet enough. 

"Ughh whatever. This isn't working," Haley let out a huff and puff. "Do you wanna come to the secret clubhouse with me and Taylor, Maya? No boys allowed though." 

I laughed but followed the girls to their secret hideout behind the bushes. As we sat there, I braided both Haley and Taylor's hair.

 As we sat there, I braided both Haley and Taylor's hair

 Haley

Taylor

Taylor

"So Maya? How is your boyfriend?" Haley asked. 

"Yea...I miss my boyfriend, I don't really see him a lot during the summer. I can't imagine how hard it is for you. Your boyfriend lives in another state." Taylor adds.

I looked at the two girls confused. 

"Come on you can tell us. How is Uncle Josh, Maya?" Haley further probed.

"When are you gonna become Aunt Maya?" Taylor fueled the fire.

I laughed at the innocent girls but cringed on the inside because I can't get away from Josh no matter where I go.

"Your Uncle Josh isn't my boyfriend, but I love both you sweeties very much. I'll always be Aunt Maya even if I'm not dating your Uncle Josh."

Neither one of them looked convinced.

"I don't believe her, do you Taylor?" Haley consulted Taylor. "Did you see the way they were both looking at each other?" 

"Yea they were looking at each other like all the mommys and daddys were looking at each other," Taylor continued for her. "Especially Uncle Joshie."

Luckily, Cory let out a roaring whistle and motioned everyone to come meet him at the bench by the rusty monkey bars. 

Once everyone gathered, he began, "Topanga, we have been together our entire lives, and you know that I love you more than anything else in the world. Will you marry me?" 

Everyone looked confused but Cory held up his hand to say he wasn't finished.

"Marry me. Again. In front of our friends and family. Marry me. Again. Let me give you our dream wedding. Let me marry Mrs. Cory Matthews and not Mrs. Harold Peterman. Let me marry you. I want to give you a wedding night spent with our friends and family. Not behind bars," Cory smirked at Eric as he said this last part. "Marry me, Topanga? I love you. Let's renew our vows for our 25th anniversary. Let's spend another 25 great years of marriage together."

My teary gazed drifted over to Josh at this point. He was standing close to me. He looked down at me and smiled. His fingers sneakily slid in between mine. A gulped hard. 

But just as quick as it happened, he pulled away just as quick as it happened. With no mention of it later.

The whole gang headed back to the Matthew's residence in Philly. Everyone was crowded in the living room, eager to start game night.

"Where's Josh?" Amy said scanning around the living room.

Just then, he came down stairs with his duffle bag.

"Hey guys. I'm sorry to end tonight's festivities early, but I had to change my flight to tonight. I have an emergency meeting in the morning for work, so I have to head back now." Josh said apologetically. "But hey, don't let me be a damper. Have fun. I'm gonna miss you guys. Ill see you in a couple months for the big day. I called a cab, so it should be outside any minute." And just like that, he disappeared out the door.

He lied right through his teeth.

I don't know how nobody could detect it, but I did. Whenever he lies, he plays with his fingers and a vein right above his eye pops out. It was kind of adorable, but I couldn't understand why he would lie and leave tonight. He knew this was important to Cory. And that's how I knew he left because he felt like he had no other choice. 

I was still angry about THAT night 3 years ago, but today, it felt like we were beginning to fall into place. Until all of this. I'm honestly puzzled. I have no idea what happened, and my heart is aching just thinking about it.

(End of Flashback)

I turned off the shower. By the look of my fingers, I had been in here a long time. I grabbed Josh's clothes from the bathroom floor and slipped them back on and sat on my bed.