Chapter 75

Maya's POV

"You know Rachel, right?" I treaded lightly with my words.

"Yea..." Josh's voice trailed unsure of where I was going with this. He tilted his head back to get the last drops of liquor in his glass.

"Rachel is Lucas's birth mom," I scrunched my brows together and bit at my nails which wasn't something I usually did.

He spit his drink back into the glass, "Wait. I didn't know that Lucas was adopted."

"I'm not sure he knows either," I shifted my body to get comfortable. 

"Hold on. Even though this isn't even about me, I think I'm gonna need another drink after this kind of news," he stood up once again. 

His tall, muscular body looming over me like a skyscraper. 

I smiled up at him hoping that he would understand the irony in my childish grin and offer to get me an adult beverage as well. 

"What do you want?" he shifted his weight to his back foot, waiting on my answer.

"Surprise me!" I said, taking back the rest of my drink so that I would be ready for a new one when he turned.

I checked my phone to see if I had any new messages.

None. Which I probably should've expected considering all my friends and family were in one room tonight. It still shocked me that nobody has really come to search for me or Josh. We had been out here for a little while now. 

Only a few people had passed by us on their way to the bathroom, but nobody really paid any attention to us.

Josh had returned a few minutes later with drinks in his hands. This minutes, of course, were passed by mindless scrolling through Facebook, Twitter, Snap Stories, and Instagram. 

This time he hesitated to sit back down on the couch.

"Let me see if there is somewhere else we can finish the talk about this revelation. You never know who is gonna linger out here and overhear," he warned me. 

"Good point."

He was right. And the last thing I needed was Lucas or Riley or someone else hearing this before they are supposed to find out. 

I watched Josh saunter down the long hallway. When he finally reached the far end, way passed the bathrooms, he nodded his head and motioned for me to follow him. When I reached his side, he turned left down another hallways that led to another dining room in this venue. Down this hallway, was an alcoved window seat, a bay window of sorts. 

"How fitting," I turned and laughed.

He knew he understood what I meant because he nodded his head in agreement and hissed a laugh himself.

We both flopped on to the window seat, noticeably closer this time due to the smaller size of the furniture. And despite it's elegant appearance, this seat was much more comfortable than the one we were previously sitting in. The cushion was tan and gray with matching throw pillows that had designs incorporating the colors blue and white into the color scheme. 

I slid off my heels which were now causing me to get what were the beginning of blisters. I swung my legs up on the cushion to the side of me and fidgeted until I was content. I noticed my knees (which had one staggered on top of the other) were gently resting on Josh's leg.

His neck went limp as his head drooped so that he was looking down at me intently. "So how did you find out?" He finally handed me my drink which was an electric pink color.