Chapter 67

Maya's POV

We drove in silence for a good two minutes.

"So how did you get that little sucker?" Josh turned to me and pointed to the cut I had on my hand. His hand brushed my hand while doing so.

My heart dropped into my stomach.

"Eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel," I said, without turning to face him.

"Got it," he obeyed. "But tell me, how did you get it?"

"If I tell you, will you stop talking to me?" I said a little too harshly.

"Fine."

I could hear the disappointment in his voice. Okay maybe that was a bit extreme of me, but I hate that it's so easy to fall into a routine with him--a routine in which I keep getting hurt.

"I broke a picture frame this morning, and when I started to pick up the glass, I cut my finger. The end," I summed it up.

"You should never pick up glass with your hands," he laughed.

"Well it's a little late for that one buddy. I figured that out by myself."

"You have always been an independent one, Maya. You never needed anyone to tell you what to do; you always wanted to discover it on your own. That is except for the one time you asked me about the Lucas thing and the triangle," he spoke over the low volume on the radio.

I didn't say anything. Instead, I just turned up the volume so I could listen to the radio instead of him.

Josh's POV

My eyes drifted to her dainty fingers that were turning the volume dial in the car. 92.3 was now blaring "Closer" by the Chainsmokers. It was a throwback, a song that Maya and I listened to a lot that summer after my college graduation. The song was even old by that time too, but it was just so damn catchy.

(Josh's POV Flashback to 3 1/2 years ago-- Post Josh's Grad Weekend but Pre-Disney Trip)

Maya had driven to Philly in her mom's beat up old red Honda Civic to come visit me for the weekend while my parents were away for a funeral. After a long day spent at the batting cages, we decided to have a Disney movie marathon and ice cream sundaes. I always had a habit of falling asleep while watching movies which always bothered people, especially Maya.

Impressively, I had made it through Toy Story and The Lion King, before falling asleep while watching Aladdin. We were on the couch in the living room, and I had fallen asleep with my head in her lap while she played with my hair. I loved when she would do that. It was so soothing which probably didn't help keep me awake.

She must have gently sat my head on the couch because the next thing I remember was waking up to the surround sound speakers in the living room blaring "Closer" by the Chainsmokers and Maya singing even louder while jumping up and down on the couch. She knew I couldn't resist this song, so she had hooked her iPhone up to the speakers and took her best shot at waking me up.

I had finally gained enough consciousness to realize what was going on.

"So baby pull me closer---Ahhh," she screamed adorably as I grabbed her legs so that she fell back on to the couch and was laying with me.

"You're making it really hard for me to not wanna kiss you right now," I held on to her firmly as I whispered this into her ear.

She leaned in close as if she was about to give in to my temptations and kiss me but instead, continued to sing, "...bite that tattoo on your shoulder." She playfully bit my shoulder. Not enough to hurt, but enough to get me wanting more.