Chapter 54

Maya's POV

I woke up to the ringing of the door bell. I don't know when I fell asleep, but when I did, I was deep asleep. I woke up disoriented and confused. I could barely open my eyes, it was so bright in the living room. I should have shut the curtains last night.

The door bell rang again. I rolled off the couch and stood up.

"Fuck," I stubbed my toe on the coffee table, but I was too tired to truly react to that painful stubbing of my toe. I stumbled up to the door, my eyes still squinting in an attempt to adjust to the light. I was disheveled, my hair a knotted mess, and my blanket wrapped around me. I opened the door.

Josh.

Before he could say a word, I slammed the door shut. I sure as hell was awake now. 

He rang the door bell again and knocked this time. 

Fuck. What do I do? What is he doing here?

I heard Riley from her room. 

"Lucas get up and dressed. I forgot I asked Uncle Josh to come over here this morning to help me get some of the rehearsal dinner stuff done. He likes you, but not enough to see us both in little to no clothes in my bed, he is my uncle after all." 

I listened closely to the door and realized she was heading towards the bedroom door. 

Fuck. Umm. I ran into my room leaving the door cracked. And literally jumped onto my bed where Zay was sleeping. 

"Maya, what the fuck? It's like the middle of the night." Zay groaned as he turned to face away from me. 

"One: it's 10. Two: Josh is here," I whispered.

"What?!" he turned to face me with his eyes wide open now. 

"Exactly. Just let's pretend we are sleeping. No problem right?" I said.

"Yea, sure."

We laid quietly in my bed. I listened to Riley and Josh talk at the door. A rough minute later, I heard Lucas join them.

Their voices were slightly muffle by the bedroom door that was cracked ajar. 

Just when I thought Zay was back asleep, he spoke. "You okay, Maya?" 

"I'm trying to be," I whispered back. I really don't know why he had this effect on me.

"It's gonna be okay. Just get through a couple more minutes, then they are leaving to go to the banquet hall to confirm everything. Come here." Zay squeezed me into a hug.

Right as he was about to release. Riley swung open my bedroom door.

Both of us froze, knowing that they would know we were awake if we separate from our hug. Instead, it looked like we were hug cuddling while we were sleeping which right now, was much better than the alternative of  having to face Josh. 

"Yea, I think Maya has the business card of the person we have to meet somewhere in here," Riley whispered back to Josh.

"Why does she have it?" he asked.

"Because she has a desk in her room and I don't, so stuff like this is somehow safer in her possession," she explained. I felt her look over at Zay and I. "Oh my god, did something happen between them last night?" Riley looked up at Lucas.

"I have no idea," Lucas responded. I could sense the uncertainty in his voice. It was like part of him knew that this was another cover for the Josh thing and another part of him was genuinely unsure.

Josh's POV

"So, uh, they're a thing again? This is two nights in a row I believe," the words escaped my mouth. Fuck. I sound jealous. But I was.