Chapter 50

Josh's POV

"So Auggie, as great as hijacking the wedding sounds, I don't think Maya is gonna go for it...and I certainly know that your mom isn't gonna go for it. I would rather come up with a plan that will not only work...but I'll actually get to live to enjoy the plan working," I mumbled through a mouth full of potato chips. I took another couple of crunches at the potato chips that I shoved into my mouth. 

"Okay. Not my best plan. I'll admit that," he threw his hands up in surrender. "But Josh, you're not giving me a lot of time to work with...you'll be gone in less than a week."

"Yea about that..." I began.

Auggie reached into the bag of chips and grabbed a few for himself. There was a long pause that was only filled by the two of us crunching on our salty chips. 

"What about it?" Auggie finally spoke up.

Shit. I haven't told anyone this yet.

"There is a chance that I could be here a little longer," I winced awaiting his response.

He swallowed what was left of the chips in his mouth, nearly choking. "What?! Wait. Real quick: Did you get fired or quit? Because if the answer to that question is yes it is gonna be really hard to be happy about this."

"Nope," I winced again.

Before, I could even explain. He literally jumped on top of me and hugged me which turned more into a tackle but I couldn't help but reciprocate. The two of us were beaming, until I remembered that this was gonna be a lot harder with Maya hating me. I shook the thought off.

"Shh...you're gonna wake your parents up," I laughed as the two of us were still wrestling back and forth in excitement.

"You can't expect me to be sane and quiet when you drop a bomb like that," Auggie reasoned. "So how did this happen?" he asked when we finally settled down. 

"Right...so I was given a promotion and I spoke to my boss and negotiated a deal. I got him to agree that I could move back to New York or Philly. And what do you know...New York just happened to be able to squeeze me in," I explained. 

"You gonna miss Florida?" he asked me a little more seriously now. 

"I mean yea. I made some friends there and the weather is beautiful, but..."

"But..." he mocked me with a little smile. 

"But up here...it's my home. Ya know. The weather isn't so freaking hot year round, my friends are up here--they are the ones that are around for life, and my family..how can I be away from my family. Especially you Auggs," I nudged him.

"And Maya..." he urged.

I sat there and smiled not saying anything. I could feel my cheeks redden a little as I blushed. 

"You're not saying no. You have to say something," Auggie said, calling me out.

I looked away to avoid eye contact, then, rubbed my eyes with my hand. 

"I told her I was playing the long game," I finally spoke. What Auggie said reminded of when Maya and I first made the deal by the fireplace at the ski lodge.

"Ooh that's good stuff," Auggie wagged the pen in his hand at me. He wrote down a few notes on the back of the paper that previously had me hijacking the wedding as my plan. 

I ignored what Auggie said and the fact that he was writing down my feelings on an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper.

"I meant what I said that day in the ski lodge and when I said someday. It's just so frustrating because I've fucked up so many times that she doesn't even believe me," I began to rant. I didn't wait for Auggie's input though, I just kept talking. "I just wish that our someday didn't seem so impossible. At this point, I'd be lucky if we even still had a someday. I mean she said it herself. We are over after the wedding. Whatever that even means..."

"Mmmm good stuff, and how does that make you feel," he raised an eyebrow and chewed on the pen cap. 

"Oh jeez, you're like my fucking shrink now. I'm sorry, I didn't even realize I was going off," I shifted in my seat.

"No. No. This is all good I'm just jotting some notes--brain storming. Proceed, let it out."

I looked down at the paper, "Holy Shit, Auggie. That's it!"

"What's it?" he was genuinely confused.

"Thank you, my wonderful nephew," I planted a kiss right on his forehead.

He looked at me in discuss, but at the moment I was too happy-go-lucky to care.

"Please don't ever do that again," he said still disgusted and wiping his forehead. 

"I can't make any promises my good friend," I was frantically moving around the living room and kitchen now. I put the bag of chips back into the cabinet.

"Care to explain what craziness has gotten into you," his eyes followed me as I continued to move around the rooms.

"Don't you have like school tomorrow or something?" I asked him.

"Yes.. but that's not the point. You're not even gonna tell me what in the fucking world you're talking about," he swung a leg down from the couch to face me in the kitchen 

"You'll see. Goodnight August. Have a great day at school tomorrow. Goodnight," I kissed him on the forehead again, still high from the thought of the plan.

"Yea, sure. Whatever. Glad I could help," he mumbled as he headed towards his room. "Josh," he turned back. "For the record, I think you and Maya are really good together. I wouldn't mind her being my aunt one day."

I smiled at him, finally stopping in my tracks, "Thanks, bud."

"And Whatever it is you have planned, I really hope it works out. Goodnight," he tapped his hand on the wall he was leaning on and then stood up straight.

"That really means a lot. I hope everything with Ava works out for the best...goodnight," I gave him a slight wave.

He turned on his heels to leave, giving me a wave from behind.