Chapter 13

Josh's POV

Im so wired off my conversation with Maya that I definitely can't sleep now. So I might as well start getting ready for tonight. I groan as I get off the bed because my back is slightly sore from sitting on the floor with Maya last night for a while. I don't really mind though. I'm smiling slightly as I'm thinking this because everything from last night was perfect given that she was sick at least. 

I was doing what I should've been doing for Maya this whole time: being there for her.

I pull my shirt over my head and off my body as I walk to the bathroom. I turn the faucet to warm and grab a towel from the linen closet. I come back into the bathroom and slide my socks and shoes off, followed by roughly tugging at my jeans and beanie to come off. 

My eyes keep drifting to where Maya and I were on the floor last night. The slight pain creeping down my back shook me from my thoughts and reminded me of the pain of this morning. I went to the sink, turned the faucet and splashed some cold water in my face. I blinked my eyes rapidly as the water dripped down my face and traveled down to my chest. I stepped in the shower and was quickly consumed in my own thoughts again.

(Flashback to 4 years ago)

It was move-in day on campus at NYU. Coming back to school was always sort of bittersweet. On one hand it meant tons of homework and stress and leaving my mom and dad. On the other hand, it meant parties, friends, Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Riley, Auggie, and even Maya. 

Maya and I had grown closer over the years. After I went to the Mount Sun Ski Lodge to chaperone her class trip, the dynamic between us changed. 

I had finally admitted to her, and myself for that matter, that I liked her. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, and despite her home life struggles I had never met anyone more capable of love. I promised her "someday" and that I would play the "long game." And I meant every word. She would live her life. And I would live mine. And someday maybe we could be together.

What made me most nervous about move-in day was that someday could be today. It definitely could. Every time I hung out with Maya after the ski lodge it was as if we grew a little closer. 

By the time she graduated from high school, I couldn't even deny how badly I wanted to be with her...how badly I wanted to kiss her that day...how badly I wanted to kiss those plump lips of hers instead of congratulating and how badly I wanted to smooth away her fears of the future with my lips.

I ran up to her at graduation to fully encompass her in my arms, knocking her graduation cap off to the side slightly. And as I pulled away, ready to kiss her. Riley came skipping behind Maya and the rest of the family came up behind me. 

And as my naïve family would continue to congratulate Riley and Maya, nobody even took a second thought about my almost moment with Maya.

One by one. All of their friends came over to take pictures and each picture was a different combination of people and poses. Sure, I took some pictures with Maya that day, but I found myself increasingly jealous of Riley and Lucas. They had been officially dating now since freshman year of high school, and they took cute pictures wrapped in each others arms and kissing while holding their diplomas. 

These were the moments I wanted to spend with Maya. The big ones and every small moment in between.

Now that it was move-in day, I felt my stomach becoming a bit uneasy just thinking about all of my future moments here at NYU with Maya. Granted, I was going to be a senior here and it was my last year of school, but I kind of figured that after I graduated from college, I would get a job and stay in the city for a while. As much as I would miss Philly, New York sort of became a home to me too.