Chapter 21

Josh's POV

I frantically, picked up the phone.

"Hey handsome," a beautiful voice spoke.

"Hey Maya, what's my gorgeous girl up to?" I responded. My voice was groggy.

"Oh my god, did I wake you up?! I'm sorry. But for the record, your sleepy voice sounds kind of hot."

"Don't be, I like hearing your voice," I could hear smile on the other end of the phone. God, I wish I could see that smile already.

"You're such a sap Matthews...anyways, I'm at the store right now. What do you want me to bring tonight?" she asked.

"Just yourself," I said cheekily.

"You're a dork. I'm hanging up," Maya threatened.

"Don't hang up already," I protested.

"Cupcake?"

"Yea, sugar plum..." I laughed at her silly term of endearment.

"No, I meant like how about I bring cupcakes for us. Ya know, the ones we used to get all of the time from the bakery."

I was blushing from embarrassment now. 

"Seriously, you don't have to bring anything except for yourself."

"Ughh you're so difficult. I'm hanging up for real now," she said.

"Bye babe," I smiled.

"Bye Joshua," she said pretending to be annoyed.

I checked the time on my phone and realized I only had about two hours until Maya got here. So I stumbled out of bed, grabbed a towel, and showered as fast as possible. There was no way I was gonna be ready by the time she got here.

Maya's POV

Well that conversation had me all kinds of messed up. haha. But seriously, why is he so darn adorable? 

So I picked up two chocolatey cupcakes. One for me and one for Josh. For myself, I got the 'Smores cupcake. It was my favorite one; it was yellow cake with a graham cracker crust, chocolate icing, and a whipped marshmallow topping. As for josh, I got his favorite. It was called the Nutella-Kahlua Ganache cupcake; it was a Nutella infused chocolate cake with a Kahlau ganache buttercream icing and was topped with crumbled Twix on top. I guess I got a little carried away too because I picked up the biggest triple chocolate caramel brownie for us to share. I can't wait to see his reaction to all of this.

Before I went into the bakery, I stopped at the liquor store that was right next store and picked out some drinks for later. As classy as I wanted this dinner to be, neither I nor Josh were huge fans of wine or champagne, so I grabbed a six-pack of Bud Light and picked up some liquor for mixed drinks. I like to think we are classy in our own way. 

By the time I got everything from the store, I realized I had about an hour and 15 minutes to finish getting ready. 

I probably should've told Riley about tonight, but I don't think I can yet. I mean this wasn't any guy. This was Joshua Gabriel Matthews who was conveniently her uncle. Her hot uncle I may add.

When I got back to the apartment, I quietly snuck into my room so that Riley wouldn't question me about tonight. I came in with only the box from the bakery in tow. As I was trying to find an outfit to wear tonight, I heard Riley come out of her room and approach my door. I shut my drawers and she peeked her head in my room. 

"Alright Maya, I am heading out for my dinner with Lucas. Are you sure you're gonna be okay alone tonight?"

"Yes Riles, have fun tonight. Don't worry about me. I'll find something to do or keep myself busy," I said with guilt that was consuming me.