Chapter 29

Maya's POV

I woke up to the alluring smell of french toast. Mmmmm. My favorite. I opened my eyes, and I panicked, remembering that I was still at Lucas and Zay's apartment in Zay's bed.

Fuck. Is Lucas home yet? Zay wasn't lying next to me anymore, so hopefully it's just him out there making my favorite breakfast food.

I pulled my hair into a loose braid and cautiously proceeded out toward the kitchen. Good, the light was off in Lucas's room. I peeked around the corner and realized that Zay was alone. Thank God.

"Phew!" I let out a sigh of relief. I walked up to the counter and sat down on a barstool.

"Good morning sunshine! I made your favorite," Zay smiled at me. 

"Good morning! You're up early." I cringed a little when he turned back around because whenever Zay said and did sweet things like this, it almost seemed as though he still had some feelings for me.

"Ehh, not really," he spoke. "It's already a quarter past 10."

"Zay, that is early for you," I refuted.

"Yea, I guess you're right, but don't test the man who is making the food."

"Good point. I'm starving!" I whined.

"Well, your timing is impeccable because I'm just about finished," Zay flipped the last two pieces of french toast. Piece by piece, he took them off the stove, dipped them in a cinnamon and sugar mixture and then put them on the serving plate beside the stove.

I grabbed dishes and utensils out of the cabinet for the two of us and returned to my seat. Zay sat down beside me, bringing the serving plate and syrup with him.

"Smells amazing!" 

"Yea well, everyone knows how good of a chef I am," he winked.

"So what are you doing up so early?" I cut off a piece of french toast and shoved it in my mouth. 

"I woke up really early this morning and I couldn't really fall back asleep. So eventually, I just got up and figured I would just make breakfast."

"Why couldn't you sleep? You love sleep," I teased, but I knew that something was going on in his mind.

"I just had a lot on my mind," he answered vaguely.

"Like..." I  motioned with my hands for him to continue.

"I don't know. I was just thinking about things."

"Care to elaborate?" I pressed.

"Ehh, it's no big deal," he shrugged.

"But Zay, if it wasn't a big deal, you wouldn't be struggling to sleep at night."

"Well--" he began. "You know what, it really isn't a big deal. I'm over it."

"Come on. Talk to me," I pleaded.

"I was just thinking. About that thing," his eyes drifted away.

"You're gonna have to be a little more specific."

"Well...do you remember that fight we had while we were dating?" he asked. "The big one."

"Yea..." Oh no.

"It wasn't mine, was it?" 

"No..." I hesitated. 

"Maya, as if I didn't feel like a dick before. I feel like an even bigger one now."