Chapter 20

"Farkle?!" we both shouted at the same time.

"Jinx!" I added looking at Riley.

"Not the time, Maya..." she gave me a look as she said this.

"You're right, but seriously, what happened?! This is Farkle we are talking about. Do you really think he would do that?" my tone was a little more somber now.

I felt bad for Smackle. I was just thinking early about how much progress she had made in regards to expressing her emotions and now stupid Farkle could be destroying all of that. I really hope he doesn't mess things up with her. 

"I don't know he has just been really distant lately. He comes home late at night and he's always on his phone," she paused. I'm pretty sure she was trying not to cry at this point. "And when I come near his phone, he gets all jumpy like he is hiding something."

"Aww Smackle. Maybe there is something else going on..." Riley said draping an arm around her.

"I'll kill him if he is," the words flew out of my mouth before I could even process them, but it made Smackle smile a little.

"Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I just don't know what to do," Smackle said looking frustrated.

"We'll try to talk to him, right Maya?" Riley suggested.

"Yea. Don't worry Chipmunk, I'll beat it out of him if I have to," I added semi-seriously, semi-jokingly. As much as I love Farkle, I'm not gonna just sit around if he is hurting Smackle.

"I can also have Lucas try to talk to him," Riley continued.

"You guys are the best. I mean that. I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't sure how you guys were gonna react. I know that you have been friends with him since you were like six," Smackle said. Her mood was genuinely lighter. It was as if we lifted a weight off her shoulder.

"We always have your back...especially if Farkle is being an asshole," I reassured her.

For the rest of lunch, we tried to keep the conversation light. Not only did we want to keep Smackle's mind off her Farkle theory, but also, I needed to keep myself from becoming overwhelmingly anxious about tonight with Josh. 

Josh's POV 

I have been awake for nearly four hours now, but I have yet to move an inch from my bed. The extreme pounding sensation in my head was incapacitating. I knew that if I moved too much or too fast, I would throw up. Carefully, I ventured to the kitchen to grab the Advil from the medicine drawer. I couldn't help but let out a little grunt and a groan in the process. Then, I grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it up with water from the sink. I placed two Advils on my tongue and took a large gulp of water to wash it down. 

My legs were shaking slightly and I began to feel a little unsteady. Knowing that I couldn't stand much longer, I shuffled back to the guest bedroom. It was a struggle, but I managed to make it back without passing out or throwing up. 

I closed my eyes tight. Please make this feeling go away. I drank entirely way too much last night. I had no intention of drinking as much as I did last night, but I am not exactly the best under peer pressure. Who would've thought Feeny was that big of a party animal? He kept shoving drinks in my face all night. He even dragged me and a couple others on top of the bar to do the "YMCA" dance which involved "Village People" hats, stripping out of our shirts, and the occasional twerking. 

If only the dancing stopped there though. After the YMCA dance, Eric harassed the DJ to play some song called "Hot Stuff," I think. I swear they had this dance previously choreographed because Jesse and I were the only ones who looked clueless. All I remember from that dance was the hip thrusts and the disco with a head bob. Other than that, I kind of just played along.

Honestly, it was a pretty good night overall. However, I'm not a fan of the consequences this morning. I continued to recap the events of last night in my head until I slowly drifted into what felt like a hangover coma. 

Then, the ringing of my phone woke me up.