"Papa?" I asked as I walked into the bathroom. I saw that his face was bruised, his lips were swelling and he had dark shadows under his eyes. Limply, he held out his arms for me. I was extremely careful when sitting on his lap, he looked exhausted and fragile. No wonder I hear Daddy crying at night, begging to be good enough for Papa to live. "Papa, please don't be sad. I love you, Daddy loves you too"

"I love you more, Jakey" He poked my tummy and kissed my forehead

"Daddy said a nasty man hurt you, Papa" I rested my head on his chest "I'll protect you, Papa" He smiled sadly before completely breaking down.

When Papa is sad, the only person in the entire world who can make him happy again is Daddy. When Papa is mad, they only person in the entire world who can calm him down is Daddy. When Papa is scared, the only person in the entire world who can make him feel safe is Daddy. When Papa is nervous, the only person in the entire world who can calm his nerves is Daddy. But Daddy isn't here right now. It was up to me. I wrapped my arms around him tightly as his tears dripped into my hair. His skinny, twig-like arms hugged me back.

"Papa, why are there bruises on your neck?" Gingerly, I touched them "Did I hurt you?"

"No" He mumbled "They aren't bruises, they're... love bites"

"Did Daddy bite you?!" I asked in alarm, he chuckled

"Kinda, I guess"

"Did it hurt?"

"Jake" He sighed "I'll tell you about all this stuff when you're older, okay?"

"Promise?"

"I promise, although when you're older you'll probably hate me for it" He cracked a grin but it was quenched almost immediately. He rested his pointy chin on my head and trembled slightly. More tears seeped into my hair.

"Daddy!" I shouted "Daddy! Daddy!" Something clattered in the background and a pair of footsteps pattered towards us. He opened the door and poked his head around "Daddy, make Papa smile but don't bite him again"

"Don't what?" He laughed. Papa indicted towards his neck and smiled sheepishly. "Ohhhh, right"

"Papa!" I exclaimed when I saw the same bruises on Daddy's neck "Did you bite Daddy?"

"Jake" Papa sighed

 "Princess" Daddy cocked his head to one side "C'mere" Papa placed me gently on the ground and was swallowed up by Daddy's arms.I watched as Daddy kissed Papa all over his face and neck. A small blush arose in Papa's cheeks as he buried his face in Daddy's chest. "I love you so much, princess"