"Jake, let go!" Papa cried "I need to be with him!" He struggled against me

"No!" I choked out "Papa, we can't!"

"You don't understand!"

"YES I DO, HE'S MY DAD!" I yelled, tears threatening to spill. Papa stopped struggling and twisted around to face me. He threw his arms around me, burying his face in my shoulder.

"I'm sorry" He whispered "I'm sorry"

"Is Dad going to be okay?" I said shakily, biting my lip as I let my own tears spill. Papa wiped my tears with his thumb before answering.

"Of course he is"

"You think so?"

"If I know anything about your dad, it's that he doesn't give up easily" He stood on his tip-toes to kiss my cheek "Lets sit down" He put his arm around me once we were seated.

Hours went by with no news. Papa had fallen asleep on my shoulder, occasionally whimpering in his sleep. Riley had to go home for her kids and I was starving. For a while, I debated what to do. My answer became very clear the moment I tried to stand up. Papa's grip was like iron on my waist.

"Excuse me, are you here for Ben Cooke?" A doctor asked

"Yeah, he's my dad. Is he okay?"

"More than okay" He smiled"The heart attack was an aftershock of the operation. He just needs a couple days of rest and he can go home"

"What about his cancer?"

"All gone" He beamed "This time, it's for good but we figured you might want to be the bearer of good news. You can go see him if you like"

"Papa!" I shook him by the shoulders "Wake up!"

Hurriedly, we raced to Dad's room, bursting through the door.

"Come here" Dad held out his arms "I love you two"

"Dad! You're better!"

 "I know" He grinned "Isn't it great?"