"Is he asleep yet?" I whispered to Jon

"Gee, nice to see you finally noticed me" He snapped "He's all cuddled up in YOUR chest so why don't you tell me if he's asleep, nice to know our son plays favourites. Now if you'll excuse me, I want some water" Slowly, he got out of his wheelchair and started limping away.

"Hold it! I untangled Jake from me "Come here"

"No"

"Alright, I'll come to you then" I sighed, stepping off the bed "Can I have a kiss?"

"No"

I grabbed him by the waist and pulled him into my chest, tilting his chin so he would look at me. He sighed and stood on his tip-toes to press a kiss on the corner of my mouth. I raised an eyebrow.

"Greedy" He muttered under his breath before kissing me properly, I picked him up and deepened the kiss. A wolf-whistle interrupted us.

"Aren't you two a little old to be getting it on at every given opportunity?" An elderly man arched an eyebrow at us.

"Who's that?" Jon mumbled in my ear

"No idea" I murmured "At least we can still get it up" I smiled to him

"Ben, my bum hurts" Jon whined quietly in my ear

"I'm sorry, baby" I kissed him again and put him down in his wheelchair "We need to talk"

"About Jake?" I nodded

"He was awfully clingy to me, wasn't he? Christ, he even called me'Daddy', he hasn't done that since he was...."

"9" Jon supplied

"How do you know that?"

"Because on his tenth birthday he had some kind of personality change. He decided he was too old to be a kid, remember?"

"Yeah, the kids at school teased him for calling me daddy" I sank down onto the chair beside my bed. "Do you think maybe it's because he thinks I'm dying that he's being super clingy to me?"

"I think you're right, when he wakes up, talk to him and if still doesn't give it up... well, maybe he could talk to my therapist?"

"That's a great idea, baby" I kissed his forehead

"Shouldn't you be resting, Ben?" A hand rested on my back "Who's that?" He indicated to Jake

"My son" I answered "He's got a cold or something, I'm trying to warm him up" The doctor rested the back of his hand on Jake's forehead. He frowned. "Is something wrong?"

"I need to take his temperature, I'll be right back" I flopped down onto my recently vacated chair. Jon threaded his fingers through mine and studied our clasped hands closely.

"I really messed up your finger" He noted, stroking the broken skin on my index finger.

"Honey, I can handle a little scab and bruising" I kissed his cheek "You were in pain, I deserved it"

"I love you"

"I love you too"

The doctor soon returned with a thermometer.

"Would you wake him for me? I don't want to startle him" The doctor smiled at me

"Babe, tell him about Jake being clingy" Jon muttered to me.

"Before I wake him, we need some advice" I said

"Okay, what is it?"

"Look, my son went through a particularly challenging time a couple months back. He hasn't wanted to talk about it properly with us, let alone his girlfriends father who rather bluntly asked him a question which triggered him. He ran here, without wearing any jeans, shoes or socks, crying his eyes out. He collapsed on the floor the second he burst through the door and he was extremely clingy to me and called me 'daddy' despite being 15 years old"